South Thompson Chinooks

And you support it?

Harvesting within the imposed parameters is one thing - food fishery, etc. is great. When its turned into a commercial fishery and there is profit involved with (what appears to be) minimal compliance we are no longer comparing apples.

The back end of this needs to be dealt with before I support it. When I roll up to the dock with one dead salmonid over my limit I highly doubt DFO will turn a blind eye.

Maybe this fishery, in particular, isn't a great example but is certainly a proxy for what is happening province wide. Great post on this forum about US FN's catchin Steel in the Skeena country with roe and transporting them home - you support that to I suppose?

Steel-- best advice is to ignore the troll from Rods board, and maybe he will go back to his usual tactics of shilling for the fish farmers.....

ah, the t word! Was wondering who would start that ... you win Cuba Libre.

The fact is FN terminal fisheries will increase and expand in BC because they have to. Hell, the heaviest fished river in BC, the Vedder, had a demonstration sockeye fishery this year and it's only a matter of time before Sto-Lo target white chinooks.
Far better to be harvesting these S Thompson chinooks when they arrive than to trying to catch them en route when other weaker stocks will be impacted, imo.
And no, I don't condone killing Skeena steelhead, by anyone or any group. In a perfect world all BC steelhead would be available for C&R sportsfishing only.

CL, actually we ff supporters are a bit bored at the moment ... Mortons recent missive to DFO's RDG, complete with her usual misrepresentations, has made our 'shilling' easier, lol

That's super Dave........

Lol.... Super Dave

Here is an avatar for you to use for this site.

images

I agree with Dave on one thing. More FN Bands are and will be granted complete control over all fish in their territory through land claim settlements. The courts are making these decisions. This includes food, ceremonial, and commercial and economic opportunity or demonstration fisheries. If you don't like it, lobby your MP in as many ways as you can. Otherwise, complaining about it here or to anyone in the general public who really doesn't have enough information to have an informed opinion, won't do much to change things.

I do not agree however with Dave's thoughts on Morten. She is the bomb.

Yep, keep it up! Now if we can totally eradicate the wild salmon population with every means possible the fish stock yards will have the oceans to themselves and the only way salmon"farmed "will be available to the average joe will be thru Costco or Save on Foods.

ah, the t word! Was wondering who would start that ... you win Cuba Libre.

The fact is FN terminal fisheries will increase and expand in BC because they have to. Hell, the heaviest fished river in BC, the Vedder, had a demonstration sockeye fishery this year and it's only a matter of time before Sto-Lo target white chinooks.
Far better to be harvesting these S Thompson chinooks when they arrive than to trying to catch them en route when other weaker stocks will be impacted, imo.
And no, I don't condone killing Skeena steelhead, by anyone or any group. In a perfect world all BC steelhead would be available for C&R sportsfishing only.

CL, actually we ff supporters are a bit bored at the moment ... Mortons recent missive to DFO's RDG, complete with her usual misrepresentations, has made our 'shilling' easier, lol

The only way that I would believe that the FNs were using acceptable practices would be to see them chasing the fish naked like they used to and use nets made from cedar bark. I am tired of the crying **** about food fishery it doesn't exist any more.
My rant.

This thread is dead and exemplifies the systemic issue the province of BC is facing with our declining salmon stocks.

Dipsticks like super here aren't going to turn this around.

Back