South Thompson Chinooks

Derby

Crew Member
First Nations netting fewer salmon at Kamloops Lake
Fisheries catching more than 100 chinook salmon a day, releasing sockeye

Keith Anderson

Skeetchestn Indian Band members John Bell Jr. and Sheldon Jules hold up two large chinook (spring) salmon on Tuesday that were caught using a gillnet boat on Kamloops Lake. The two work for the Secwepemc Fisheries Commission.

Click for more images
September 19, 2012

By CAM FORTEMS
Daily News Staff Reporter
An inland fishery underway on Kamloops Lake is snagging whopping South Thompson chinook that would make a sport angler jealous.
Secwepemc Fisheries Commission purchased two boats this year as part of its long-term commitment to the inland fishery. Five gillnets, marked with buoys and lights, are set between Savona and upstream toward Tobiano.
Don Ignace, fisheries manager for Skeetchestn Indian Band, said Tuesday more than 100 chinook a day are being hauled aboard the 8.5-metre fishing boat and associated packing vessel. They are based out of a temporary dock beside Aspen Planers' sawmill at Savona.
"We've got up to 170 a day," Ignace said, adding a typical day sees between 130 and 150 chinook caught with gillnets.
Fishers working Tuesday were pulling 35- to 50-pound chinooks, also known as spring salmon, from Kamloops Lake.
Numbers of salmon hauled in this year pale in comparison to last year, when the commission was permitted by Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) to catch 22,000 sockeye using purse-seine nets, along with 4,000 chinook.
Les Jantz, DFO's B.C. Interior chief for resource management, said abundance both for chinook and sockeye is down. In 2010, there were 10 million sockeye that returned to the Adams River, the largest run in history. This year is an off-cycle year on the Adams, with just a few thousand sockeye expected to spawn.
Jantz said fishermen working for the commission are limited to 500 "encounters," which means bycatch of other species. They must release sockeye.
"They're as much concerned about conserving sockeye stocks as we are," Jantz said, adding risk of catching sockeye now is low.
Ignace said nets have picked up less than six sockeye thus far. Nets have eight-inch spacing, designed to snare larger chinook but let sockeye pass.
He doesn't expect crews will reach the 2,100-chinook limit set by DFO.
"The way it's looking we have to be out by the 22nd (of September) because coho are showing up in abundance and we don't want to catch those."
Thompson coho stocks are considered at risk.
Unlike in some previous years, the commission won't make fresh salmon from the fishery available for sale here. A buyer dockside at the lake trucks salmon on ice directly to North Delta Seafoods.
"They were impressed at the quality and fish colour," Ignace said. "They figure it will be easy to fillet and steak up."

I'm not sure but are theses the fish that were protected thru Victoria this year? just wondering?

Those were the early fish... If I understand correctly the later Thompson are in less dire straits...

You know where those fish are going though.....

50000-42944.jpg

A waste :rolleyes:

Why doesn't DFO just be honest and say what their policy really is...Conservation measures on non-native fisheries = priority access for native fisheries = no progress

They don't have any policy when it comes to the west coast or the fish here.

Those select Springs endeavored all the ocean obstacles! endeavored a summer of traveling up the rivers and finally make it into the lake to go spawn soon! For what??

Last edited by a moderator:
I really have a hard time with this FN selling fish commercially..Don't think it right. That ruling needs to be overturned.

Ceremonial fish/food I can stand. They "FN" need to fish on same playing field as everyone else. I think the first few lines are mocking us: "An inland fishery underway on Kamloops Lake is snagging whopping South Thompson chinook that would make a sport angler jealous."

The government has created a big mess.

This fishery is legal and legitimate. It is demonstration fishery like many others being conducted in the province such as in the Cariboo-Chilcotin and Osoyoos Lake. It is fully monitored by DFO. Allocations are based on pre-season run estimates, but the actual allocation can change due to inseason estimates. Before people get up in arms over this inland fishery they should think about what is actually better for the fish in the long run - wacking them in a mixed stock fishery in the lower river where weaker stocks are taken along with stronger stocks or being harvested in a more selective, terminal fishery where you are more certain about the stocks you are harvesting. Personally, I do not see these fisheries going away anytime soon with a greater emphasis being put on reducing bycatch of endangered stocks. However, the success of these fisheries will depend on the ability of those First Nations involved to make them economically viable. That will be up to them in the long run.

I agree that the quote you mention was very poor choice of words, but that responsibility should be on the reporter that wrote the article and not the people involved. I also agree that the right to ceremonial and food fish can be abused by some First Nations, but I think we should be supporting those that want to do this legally as well as reduce unnecessary bycatch.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/publications/docs/picfi-ipcip-demo-eng.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe these demonstration fisheries are getting this priority because of they are much more selective - using gear (i.e. mesh size) that allows Sockeye to pass through. The other thing that you need to understand is that these fisheries are terminal. First Nations in these demonstration fisheries are targeting South Thompson Chinook specifically. These fisheries further down in the Fraser would be targeting more than just South Thompson Chinook. Fisheries conducted in the lower river capture weaker and stronger stocks. Reducing unnecessary bycatch (i.e. Thompson Steelhead and Interior Coho) is getting more and more attention (priority) and it should be because it going to benefit us all in the long run. Conducting fisheries closer to the terminal areas helps acheive that. If the run strength for these South Thompson Chinooks was not there this demonstration fishery would not happen as it is based on inseason run estimates. This is not different from other commercial fisheries. It was unfortunate that the reporter would use the word "snagging" because if you have seen this fishery up close and personal and know the people involved you will find out that it is not that at all.

That scares me most. Maybe you want to read what happened under full monitoring to the Chinooks in Port Alberni this fall!

Before you start comparing what is going on in Port Alberni with this demonstration fishery on Kamloops Lake you might want to find out more about is going on Kamloops Lake before passing judgement. As for Port Alberni, there are two sides for every story so you should be talking to Mr. Thomson also before believing what you are told on this or any other forum.

Thanks for your time guys.

Oh, believe me, I have heard the Alberni story from any side and year after year and it varies from very sad to catastrophic. Not comparing the fishing methods, just saying, it's the same regulator in both cases and that is scary.

This fishery is legal and legitimate. It is demonstration fishery like many others being conducted in the province such as in the CaribooChilcotin and Osoyoos Lake. It is fully monitored by DFO. Allocations are based on pre-season run estimates, but the actual allocation can change due to inseason estimates.

you mean like the one in the stamp a few weeks ago?

Lorne

This FN **** is really getting old.

Before you start comparing what is going on in Port Alberni with this demonstration fishery on Kamloops Lake you might want to find out more about is going on Kamloops Lake before passing judgement. As for Port Alberni, there are two sides for every story so you should be talking to Mr. Thomson also before believing what you are told on this or any other forum.

Thanks for your time guys.

I don't have many more posts than you but where we do differ is that you've exercised all of yours (total of 3) in this thread. Hmmm, I wonder if somebody has a "vested" interest in this fishery?

My goodness … someone with intimate knowledge about these demonstration fisheries decides to share his insight but his post isn’t quite what most readers wanted.
That’s why I enjoy this site …lol

My goodness … someone with intimate knowledge about these demonstration fisheries decides to share his insight but his post isn’t quite what most readers wanted.
That’s why I enjoy this site …lol

I could give two squirts of... if this guy knows more about how they are not harming the sockeye, blah, blah, blah... It is the principal not the practice... read between the lines my friend.

Get used to the principal and the practice. These fisheries will most likely expand in the future as terminal harvesting is far more conservation based than mixed stock fisheries. Are you really concerned about the sockeye or just pissed that FN are legally allowed to these harvest salmon?

Get used to the principal and the practice. These fisheries will most likely expand in the future as terminal harvesting is far more conservation based than mixed stock fisheries. Are you really concerned about the sockeye or just pissed that FN are legally allowed to these harvest salmon?

And you support it?

Harvesting within the imposed parameters is one thing - food fishery, etc. is great. When its turned into a commercial fishery and there is profit involved with (what appears to be) minimal compliance we are no longer comparing apples.

The back end of this needs to be dealt with before I support it. When I roll up to the dock with one dead salmonid over my limit I highly doubt DFO will turn a blind eye.

Maybe this fishery, in particular, isn't a great example but is certainly a proxy for what is happening province wide. Great post on this forum about US FN's catchin Steel in the Skeena country with roe and transporting them home - you support that to I suppose?

Back