South Island Shellfish

Last Chance

Admin
Staff member
Okay, here is a new one. Anyone know where you can get an assortment of shellfish in the Victoria/Sooke area? I have been to the Jordan River mussel beds, and the Gulf Islands for oysters, but for LOCAL oysters/clams, where to? Any good beaches that I have seen are polluted, and it is prime time for everything except butter clams (According to DFO)!

I surf a lot between jordan river and port renfrew and I've seen huge mussel beds with HUGE mussels. Always wondered if they were safe to eat or legal to pick?

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

I surf a lot between jordan river and port renfrew and I've seen huge mussel beds with HUGE mussels. Always wondered if they were safe to eat or legal to pick?

Well, I don't know why they would be illegal to pick. I am sure they are safe this time of year from red tide, and I don't think there are any sh**t pipes near them to pollute 'em that way. I have eaten them from that area for years, and have not dropped dead yet. I'm just sick of mussels and want some clams and oysters for a change. I wonder about Whitty's Lagoon?

BTW, the big mussels are cool, them suckers are big enough to carve like a turkey! Imagine the family's suprise when carving the "Christmas Mussel"

I've tried those giant mussels from up that way ,and ya, you don't need many of those for a tastey meal.Legally though, I don't think you're allowed to harvest shellfish from a park(Jaun de fuca Trail).

I used to grab oysters\mussels from Jordan River too - until I found out there is a sewer outfall straight out from the WFP ofice.[xx(]
Saw it on a really low tide once.I always wondered why that wave is called "sewers".

quote:Originally posted by Morty

I've tried those giant mussels from up that way ,and ya, you don't need many of those for a tastey meal.Legally though, I don't think you're allowed to harvest shellfish from a park(Jaun de fuca Trail).

I used to grab oysters\mussels from Jordan River too - until I found out there is a sewer outfall straight out from the WFP ofice.[xx(]
Saw it on a really low tide once.I always wondered why that wave is called "sewers".

I figured there was a sewer at Jordan, I would go for a walk a ways down west. Is the JDF a provincial or federal park? I think that a provincial park allows sport fishing per regulations. I didn't see anything on the DFO page, and they are damn clear about what you can and can't do at Botanical, and the West Coast Trail.

So it is a Provincial-thanx LC good to know[:p]
I'd say Witty's or Weir's would be a good bet for clams.

quote:Originally posted by Morty

So it is a Provincial-thanx LC good to know[:p]
I'd say Witty's or Weir's would be a good bet for clams.

I'll have to go for a good walk-around at Witty's next low tide (Not fer a few months), and make sure there are not turd-pipes or anything around...

EDIT: And I have to find a trail that goes down that does not have one of those "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints" signs on it :D

Most of the beaches on the south island are closed to shellfish
harvesting due to high coliform..
The closure only affects bi-valves, ie. clams, mussels,oysters.
The crabbing is usually good in the winter and prawning can also be productive if you know where to go.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Most of the beaches on the south island are closed to shellfish
harvesting due to high coliform..
The closure only affects bi-valves, ie. clams, mussels,oysters.
The crabbing is usually good in the winter and prawning can also be productive if you know where to go.

Yep, 'tis. Prawning was a slaughter off BRentwood Bay, but we are closed for the rest of the month. Well, I'll find a clam beach around here yet!

Back