Sounder settings....

fishwish

Thought I would start a thread about what settings you guys are running your sounders at...

My setup: Lowrance HDS 8 with an Airmar P66 (just installed)
Sensitivity: 63%
Colour line : 83%
Ping Speed: 13

Since I just installed the Airmar, I want to make sure that I get the most out of it. I have played around with the settings quite a bit. When trolling, I run the frequency at 50, but I lose bottom at speed, so I switch to 200 when I am running...reads to 800 ft at about 26 mph...sooooo much better than the stock one.

FishWish

Is there ever a good reason to have the ping speed anything but max? I've never understood it that well but I thought the more pinging the better.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

FWIW: The Furuno techs recommend 100% all the time on the power (ping speed) settings. The only time I back off is for extreme shallow water applications

And you'll be better off fiddling with all the controls the way you've been doing until you get it dialed in. Using another guy's settings that he's using on a completely different boat---not much wisdom in that

For instance, I just installed a transducer, the cost of which was in nose-bleed territory. You say you have a nice picture at 800 feet running 20 knts.? That's pretty good!

So, here's a screen shot of what the picture looks like on my brand new unit running 20 knts --- I assure you, I have it "dialed in" with all the proper settings for the frequency I'm using:

The short answer--- figure out the settings for your own boat and for your own set of applications and circumstances. Your eyes will be the best judge of whether you have it right or not

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW: The Furuno techs recommend 100% all the time on the power (ping speed) settings. The only time I back off is for extreme shallow water applications

And you'll be better off fiddling with all the controls the way you've been doing until you get it dialed in. Using another guy's settings that he's using on a completely different boat---not much wisdom in that

For instance, I just installed a transducer, the cost of which was in nose-bleed territory. You say you have a nice picture at 800 feet running 20 knts.? That's pretty good!

So, here's a screen shot of what the picture looks like on my brand new unit running 20 knts --- I assure you, I have it "dialed in" with all the proper settings for the frequency I'm using:

The short answer--- figure out the settings for your own boat and for your own set of applications and circumstances. Your eyes will be the best judge of whether you have it right or not

Do you even have any room left in the back of that boat for transducers:confused::D
I'll take all your old ones lol

"......Do you even have any room left in the back of that boat for transducers
I'll take all your old ones lol ...."

I'm a source of comic relief for the guys that work on my boat. They just love drilling large holes in my deck. What's interesting is a dew decades ago, Airmar purchased the same model boat I have to use as a test platform for their transducers (completely flat bottom; zero deadrise). By the time they sold it, it had more hole then bottom.

That's my role model....

I try and keep the concept of "catastrophic failure" out of my mind. I burn incense and chant incantations on my knees in front of tubes of 3M 5200...

Back