Sooke river salmon

juandesooka

Helped the SSES gather their brood stock today. First set was full of nice size coho and chum, but just a few springs.

Second set was chock full o' springs ... kept all the hatchery needed and had to throw back about 50. (river is so low, hatchery has no water, so can't take on full load of springs yet)

Pretty fun day ... getting in there and grabbing those big springs (up to 40 lbs) that eluded us all season.

If you want to help out, the hatchery is always looking for volunteers. Tomorrow they'll be doing the harvesting.

PS forgot to add ... I'm far from an expert, but the return seemed healthy this year, compared to some previously lean years....good sign! As well, a bunch of fly fishermen having a ball, seemed to be mostly hooking coho.

I was part of the SSES fish netting team today, Juandesooka. Still not sure who you are, but you may know who I was. My accent is a giveaway!
Anyway, nice to have met you. :cool:
English

hey John, are they planning another take or was that it? Between soccer and a cold (and not realizing it was today until yesterday), it just wasn't happening.

If you want to help out, the hatchery is always looking for volunteers. Tomorrow they'll be doing the harvesting.

Really???? That's funny.. I have given Mel my email twice now as well as filled out all the stuff on their website and sent that in..... still haven't heard anything?

is it possible there was a communication mishap with the new president coming in? I mentioned to Christoph about the broodstock on Friday and that was the first he had heard and he has always been on the mailing list. I only realized when I happened to check the website that day because I figured it had to be getting close and saw it there

Mel hasn't sent out his usual emails to me either; probably took me off the list cause I haven't been getting out. Good on those who do!

Back