Some interesting stats….

Cookie's Cutter

Here are some interesting stats about fishing licenses issued in BC

What sticks out the most is the zero non resident licenses in 2020-2021 the first year of covid.

I would have also thought that the popularity of tidal fishing in BC would have increased by more than the approx 20% of the last 20,years.

your thoughts

Pretty significant reduction in total sales as well as Conservation Stamps. The Conservation Stamps represent direct revenue to the PSF - fairly significant decrease in funding for conservation. No surprise that interest and participation in the fishery declined with curtailed opportunity and expectation of catch. Without the stay close to home surge in recreation resulting from Covid, I would have anticipated the decrease to have been much greater. Guess people were looking for anything they can do for recreation in a Covid lock down world. My bet is people shifted towards other species and opportunities besides Chinook which is the back bone of the recreational fishery.

Its actually has significantly declined since the 1990's and is at about 1980's level, Basically has not changed since the 1980s

1652196524220.png

Back