Some guy is selling a boat for his friend and

23Hourston

A guy is selling a boat for his friend
What kind of paper work do I need to protect
Myself
How do I search for any leans on the boat
I am going in cautiously but optimistic

As far as paperwork is concerned check the licence numbers displayed on the hull on the boat, make sure the licence papers show the same number and that the persons name on the licence papers is the same person you are buying from. Next check the Hull Identification numbers are correct. the HIN number should be displayed on the transom . Next make sure that the bill of sale displays the licence number and the HIN number. Also the sellers name and address and the selling price. If a trailer is part of the package break down the amounts to reflect the boat separate from the trailer. You will have to register the trailer and insure it, you will pay sales tax when you do that, the sales tax on the boat comes when the provincial tax people are informed of the sale.And they will be. When you complete all of that go online to Transport Canada and look for the link in the marine section to pleasure boat licenses. You can download the form to send to New Brunswick where the documents are checked and a new licence is issued in your name. You will have to provide the old licence, a government issued Id, photo copy of a passport will do and the completed bill of sale.If all of the paper work is correct and you are still concerned try contacting Transport Canada marine, good luck.

When I buy in the USA I aways have a Lawyer where I'm buying provide a letter of undertaking to GUARANTEE that the boat has no liens! IMO, The best $200 you can spend!

Use this to ensure the boat is currently registered to the friend of the guy who's selling it. http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/4/vrqs-srib
Ensure the bill of sale reflects the name of the current owner - and is signed by that person.
If there's any question as to the ownership/registration, check with the RCMP to make sure the thing hasn't been reported stolen.

bigbruce, just as a point of interest the transport canada site you mentioned is only useful if the boat is actually registered, I know it is confusing but most of our boats are not registered, only licensed in our name, big difference. It is explained to a confusing degree in the safe boating guide.

The suggestions above will determine ownership, but will not identify outstanding liens. There is a Personal Property Security registry in BC in which banks and other lenders are supposed to register liens against personal property if they want the lien to be effective….so they do so. You need to check the registry based on the registration numbers. Ask a lawyers office to do it if you are not sure how to go about it…it won' be expensive and will provide you with peace of mind.

If the boat is from out of province you need to check the appropriate agency in that jurisdiction as well…..likely a similar registry but I am not sure what they are called in other jurisdictions.

On the "guarantee" suggestion above, if that is the sellers guarantee it is only as good as the seller's ability to make good on it and if there are unpaid liens on the boat and they are selling one might question whether they can indeed make good on such a guarantee if things go south.

Good luck with your potential purchase.

A guy is selling a boat for his friend
What kind of paper work do I need to protect
Myself
How do I search for any leans on the boat
I am going in cautiously but optimistic

Do you have a link to the listing? Anything said by the guy "selling the boat for his friend" that raises flags yet? Is it a crazy good deal? Where is it located? Have you tried googling anything about the seller or boat such as an email or phone number you are corresponding with boat make/model and any corresponding numbers? Spend some time checking stuff like that on Google as you never know what you may turn up. Checked with police about any possibility of it being reported stolen?

I would ask to speak to the owner regarding the final transaction and if you are told 'no'....walk away. I get it if a guy is doing all the showing, responding to inquiries etc., but the transaction should be done with the legal/actual owner UNLESS the guy doing the showing is a broker.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can talk direct to the owner. use skye you will have his signature on paper work here get him to write it in front of you or show you some id to prove it is him.

On the "guarantee" of lien free? Never ever trust the seller on the liens situation. I always use a Lawyer to do the research for me! If he messes up by telling me all is good and it's not, then I've got an additional recourse action (I hope). It would be very disappointing to have the boat towed or have to pay out the lien. I've been lucky so far!

Hi all of you, the last site that bigbruce supplied should be book marked by all of us. Seems like a good site.

Back