Sockeye Test nets

Marsman

This is great to see. All the test nets for 2010 is already at 455,000 sockeye and we are not even into September. In 2002 which was the biggest run in 50yrs totaling 638,000 sockeye. Looks like this year will be the same as 2002 or better. As for warm water in the Fraser I believe it is better than too cold. In 1998 the DFO shut down the fishery due to the very warm water in the Fraser and in 2002 was that huge run. There was NO high mortality rate in 1998. This looks like a great year for our BC economy with all the guides and people fishing every day. I can see this sockeye fishery stay open well into September. Go get em.

Cheers, Rob

Look back further than 2002....

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Amen brother. 8 years does not a recovery make, 8 generations perhaps. I guarantee that we are in for some lean years for returns of sockeye in a couple of years. 08 and 09 were both dismal returns and El Nino has returned. Nice to see that La Nina has helped for a couple of years though. Its likely that we will see more El ninos and less La Ninas as we get further into the global warming trend.

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Amen brother. 8 years does not a recovery make, 8 generations perhaps. I guarantee that we are in for some lean years for returns of sockeye in a couple of years. 08 and 09 were both dismal returns and El Nino has returned. Nice to see that La Nina has helped for a couple of years though. Its likely that we will see more El ninos and less La Ninas as we get further into the global warming trend.

I agree. I predict that the next 3 years will be closed which if needed should be.
Cheers

Back