So, Does $2.00 a litre affect your fishing?

It's okay - relevant and interesting points as to why gas will soon be $2/liter. Most here have addressed the initial question of "how?" and have now transitioned to the more critical question "why?"

Yes, well we have avoided threads that are bound to turn into a politically nuanced topic as they end up in a quagmire of ideology. People come here looking for mostly fishing related or light topics, so we will keep it that way. There is likely more than one place on the internet to find a discussion about the "why" gas will soon be $2 a litre and we'll let those places carry on with the discussion.

For myself, recently going up to a bigger boat still leaves in what many would consider a small boat. The new 40 horse only burns a little more than my previous 9.9. Might cost me $15 for six hours of fishing, plus whatever my 3.0L truck burns to get to and from the ramp.

I guess if I could afford a 20' Grady and the truck to pull it I could probably afford the fuel.

I can’t imagine ever thinking someone could survive in 2021 on $12 an hour or whatever you paid your last receptionist. I am a business owner as well and struggling to find and decent CAD / project manager for $30 an hour.
30$ an hour is a garbage wage. I'm not surprised you're struggling to find somebody.

Oh ya what should a CAD guy get in today’s market?
Not sure about the CAD part, but I don't know any project managers that would work for 30$/hour. Things have and are changing. When Mcdonalds is paying 18$ an hour, it's going to have a ripple effect all the way up the chain. We have second year carpenter apprentices that are making 30$/hour now.

Not sure about the CAD part, but I don't know any project managers that would work for 30$/hour. Things have and are changing. When Mcdonalds is paying 18$ an hour, it's going to have a ripple effect all the way up the chain. We have second year carpenter apprentices that are making 30$/hour now.
Yeah the wages for trades has finally started to come to fruition and be appreciated.

I am making 35.86 plus benefits and pention contribution / hr as a electrian and know I am $5-10/ hr under paid. Honestly I feel the compensation is fair for my daily tasks but not on par with the outside world. I was making $32/ hr with bennies in 2009 and took a cut to go to where I am because of the pension.

honestly we can not hire anyone that’s under 50 years of age or a decent tradesman because the of the wage and wait for benefits ,ect it’s a complete joke.

I have been hounded by upper management to get a A ticket and move up to management and I keep saying what do you think someone with a A is worth and how come you can’t hire anyone ?

Makes me laugh, and drink

SORRY ADMIN

@Admin

Sometimes threads change directions.

Also VERY important to note, This thread started as “does $2/gas affect you” and you changed it to fishing.
as long as people aren’t saying hurtful comments or doing anything illegal I think it’s great to have a discussion like this.

Otherwise you will have to go to all the threads in the general forum and add fishing to the title. “The everything COVID-19 about fishing”
“Dave H car racing about fishing”
“Canucks 2021 fishing season”
“Hot fishing stock tips”

Or… just nuke the general thread completely and this site will all be about fishing. It’s November and nobody is fishing, so if you want clicks I suggest let us chat about other things too.

this is my opinion and I would be disappointed if you deleted it. It’s okay to have a different opinion to someone else sometimes, and I do think you do a great job on this site!

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey @Stizz, I changed the title, because the question posed in the first post by the OP was this:

It will effect everything you do. So how will it effect your fishing?

You will also notice I posted this just a few posts back.

Yes, well we have avoided threads that are bound to turn into a politically nuanced topic as they end up in a quagmire of ideology. People come here looking for mostly fishing related or light topics, so we will keep it that way.

So yes, hockey talk, Dave's ditties from days gone by etc work because they are light hearted topics.

This thread has meandered into comments about interest rates, the Bank of Canada, daycare, minimum wage, wages for trades, Trudeau and so on. So, not exactly staying on topic and as has been stated many times in the past, not interested in moderating threads that have political overtones as they inevitably end up in the ditch. This stance is not going to change.

Brian

@Admin

Sometimes threads change directions.

Also VERY important to note, This thread started as “does $2/gas affect you” and you changed it to fishing.
as long as people aren’t saying hurtful comments or doing anything illegal I think it’s great to have a discussion like this.

Otherwise you will have to go to all the threads in the general forum and add fishing to the title. “The everything COVID-19 about fishing”
“Dave H car racing about fishing”
“Canucks 2021 fishing season”
“Hot fishing stock tips”

Or… just nuke the general thread completely and this site will all be about fishing. It’s November and nobody is fishing, so if you want clicks I suggest let us chat about other things too.

this is my opinion and I would be disappointed if you deleted it. It’s okay to have a different opinion to someone else sometimes, and I do think you do a great job on this site!

Thanks
Lol in typical Canucks fashion it looks like there trying to get wrapped up as quick as possible to get out on the water

Will probably fish more close to home after July 15 and do things with family before that time instead of running up island or westcoast saves some $$ and gets wife off back for family trips in end of july n aug

$2/litre will not affect my fishing next summer, I will still fish Port Hardy in June, Nootka in July and Courtenay and Campbell River the rest of the summer. My fishing/boating is still cheaper than owning horses, believe me I as we now have 2 and at one point had 4 grazing in our fields. Life is too short, fishing is critical to me, there are worse habits. I should also mention that the horses while expensive, kept my daughters on the straight and narrow growing up. One is now a Vet after 9 years of University, 7 of which were in Saskatoon and my oldest is now a Fisheries Officer here in BC. So I feel the horses were worth it.

Last edited:
2 bucks a liter is way cheaper than a divorce, boating and fishing keeps me sane, bring it on!
Cheaper than a divorce for sure and in my case, much safer. My wife has told me that if I ever left her, especially if it was for another woman, the only thing that I would be taking from our marriage would be a bullet. 46 years today,,,,,,so what's a man to do. This way I stay alive and can still fish and I do have a little fuel sipper for an engine so life is good.

Pulled the report on my main yesterday while winterizing. Added 52 hours this season, the usual mix of full throttle, cruising and idling. Average say 5 gph for a season total burn of 260 gallons/980 litres. Well under 2 grand as I get a fair proportion of my gas from the wholesaler. Can't see my habits much changing next year.

put 100 hours on the main this summer, the first season with the new boat and I'm just as excited to use it again next summer so no I don't see it affecting my fishing at all. Maybe ill go for 150 hours next summer :)

Back