Smoking with Plum Wood - Do you do it?

Baxter

I typically use Apple, or others, have never tried Plum. We have an Italian Prune Plum tree that I am about to prune. I was thinking of using a bunch of this wood for smoking, but have never actually heard of anyone using plum wood before.

Anyone try using it? Does it work well? Is there a specific reason why people don't use it? Honestly, I think it will probably work great, but also don't want to ruin a batch of salmon if plum is known to be a bad choice.

Thoughts?

I typically use Apple, or others, have never tried Plum. We have an Italian Prune Plum tree that I am about to prune. I was thinking of using a bunch of this wood for smoking, but have never actually heard of anyone using plum wood before.

Anyone try using it? Does it work well? Is there a specific reason why people don't use it? Honestly, I think it will probably work great, but also don't want to ruin a batch of salmon if plum is known to be a bad choice.

Thoughts?
Any hardwood fruit wood should produce a sweet type of smoke...I have used it in the past and found it similar to cherry wood.
A friends dad use to say don't over season your fruit wood if you plan to smoke with it.
I wouldn't use it on fish...fruit wood is usually better for poultry and pork...just my opinion though

Thoughts?
Has it been sprayed with anything?

Plum is very good mild wood for smoking, but like most fruit woods, it is best if not overly seasoned.

Here is a link to a bbq forum that discusses plum :

Fyi bark on trimming are usually bitter if you can get into some solid wood way better .one time when they were destroying houses I went and got all the apple, cherry and plum tree wood from the site , use a chainsaw with veg oil in it

just a word of caution if it's an established plum tree, winter is not the time to prune them, the best time is mid summer for plum trees, my neighbor made the mistake 2 years ago and hers became diseased and is now a mess.

Back