Small open boat recommendations? Lifetimer? Lund? A log with oars?

SaltyAlice

Hey guys and gals,

I'm curious to poll the group on small open boat ideas. I am looking for a small 16-20' boat for:
- Short haul shuttling of people and gear in protected waters. Think Brentwood Bay or Bamfield harbour type scenario
- A bit of exploring / beaching in the right weather
- Maybe a bit of salmon and ling fishing in calm conditions
- Something that (responsible) aspiring teenage anglers could get handle

Boats I have looked at so far are Lund SSVs, a Lifetimer (Skiff or Offshore), perhaps an old beater Whaler if such a thing exists. No need for any sort of cover as this will be a fair weather boat. My preference would be for something built here in BC.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Simplest and cheapest is a fibreglass runabout type hull. Dime a dozen as this was the ubiquitous hull style through the 70s-80s-90s, marketed as family multi purpose fishing/skiing/tubing. Quality and price are largely determined by storage conditions and power. In the more recent end of the time range mentioned, inboard/outboard power ruled the roost because of price.

In any contemplated purchase, you'll need to look carefully at hull integrity before even thinking about power. A well stored, sound hull is worth the search.

Cuddy style hulls are a bit heavier and bulkier, but many people like them for increased freeboard plus the forward lockable storage.

I'd suggest sticking with aluminum over fiberglass. Makes beaching & care easier. As far as models go, it depends on your budget. A lund ssv is a lot cheaper than a Lifetimer, Silverstreak, etc. Riveted vs welded. Features to look for would be walk-through seating (no need to step over a middle bench), 20" transom, and something with some decent freeboard. I ran a 16.5' Crestliner with a 30HP for 3 years and took it all over the island. I'd think a 14' would end up being a little small, but a 16' was perfect for 2 or 3. 4 was a little crowded. Great for jigging, salmon fishing & exploring. 18-20' would end up being a little bigger and beefier for sure. No need for a kicker as the motor was a new 4 stroke and kept in good condition. I've seen some open SS 16' come up on UsedVic for around 20K. Probably more now. I miss mine.

I'd suggest sticking with aluminum over fiberglass. Makes beaching & care easier. As far as models go, it depends on your budget. A lund ssv is a lot cheaper than a Lifetimer, Silverstreak, etc. Riveted vs welded. Features to look for would be walk-through seating (no need to step over a middle bench), 20" transom, and something with some decent freeboard. I ran a 16.5' Crestliner with a 30HP for 3 years and took it all over the island. I'd think a 14' would end up being a little small, but a 16' was perfect for 2 or 3. 4 was a little crowded. Great for jigging, salmon fishing & exploring. 18-20' would end up being a little bigger and beefier for sure. No need for a kicker as the motor was a new 4 stroke and kept in good condition. I've seen some open SS 16' come up on UsedVic for around 20K. Probably more now. I miss mine.
Awesome food for thought. Thanks!

I own a Lund Alaskan I bought in 1990, I used it for moose hunting and fishing in the interior where I use to live.
Now in Nanaimo I use it in sheltered waters, It still dosen't leak and runs great 30 year later. Definitely not ideal for ocean
fishing but over the last 5 years I have figured out how to get my limit in salmon and still working Lincod. I payed 5000.00 for her and have not had any break downs or service bills, just gas and insurance and this year a new pair of tires. Thats why I call her Breakin"even.:)

I have a 15’ SilverStreak that I had built about 10 years ago. It doesn’t get a lot of use but when I’m in it I’m always impressed with just how big and stable it is. It has a pretty decent reverse chine and rips along pretty good with a 25Hp Yamaha on it. I had considered selling after having my new boat built but the wife said no.... She wants my son to be able to start learning on it over the next few years so when he’s ready it can be his boat. I can’t argue with her logic. I always say you need 3 boats! Lol

I own a Lund Alaskan I bought in 1990, I used it for moose hunting and fishing in the interior where I use to live.
Now in Nanaimo I use it in sheltered waters, It still dosen't leak and runs great 30 year later. Definitely not ideal for ocean
fishing but over the last 5 years I have figured out how to get my limit in salmon and still working Lincod. I payed 5000.00 for her and have not had any break downs or service bills, just gas and insurance and this year a new pair of tires. Thats why I call her Breakin"even.:)
And you will probably get your 5k back when you sell her!

I have to mention that I payed Alley Craft boat builders in PG 1500. to add the bow and winshield and I built the trailer from salvaged steel from a friend.

highly reccomend the guide series from lund. had a 14' for my grocery getter and loved it. beamy, deep transom and very stable.
15hp moved it ok too. i sold boat and motor for 3500.00 to give you an idea of tinner pricing.

Back