Small boat fishing in Haida Gwaii

Dr. Reelgood

Hi all. New member here but long time lurker. Signed up to ask a couple questions about fishing HG in a smaller boat. My wife and I are planning a month long trip to Haida Gwaii for last 3 weeks of May and first week of June 2020. we’ll be camper vanning it and while it might be too early for prime fishing, and weather might or might not be snotty, it’s the time frame we have for our holidays. It’s going to be a once in a lifetime trip, so I’m also going to take my own boat. It’s only 17’8” but very sea worthy and has a 2014 70hp yamaha and a 2016 8hp Yamaha kicker for power so I know It’s mechanically sound. My question is, Is there places where I can fish that are semi protected? That aren’t too far to run to in a small boat? We plan to spend a week or so in each of the larger communities and explore the local sights and scenery but I hope to spend at least two days on the water at each location. More if I can get away with it lol. Anybody have some tips and or ideas what and where a guy, his wife and a dog could or should be looking at wetting a line? I’m not looking to catch monsters or anything but would like to pursue some salmon and halibut and maybe see some sights that you couldn’t get to by foot. But not looking to ”conquer” the seas every day. Obviously weather will have a big impact but I’m hoping there’s some kind of sheltered areas that are not too hairy or too distant to get to if I get a chance. Looking forward to any replies those in the know can offer. Thx

Should add that we are experienced ocean fishers. But that our experience has been mostly WCVI. Have also fished the inside and lower mainland but meh.... Aside from west coast they’re not really my favourite places to fish

@Dr. Reelgood I can definitely help you out with this. May is not to early. Totally depends on the year. The last 2 years have had my Biggest salmon in May. Also the close pinnicals will not be picked over by any of the guide boats. Lastly your boat will do fine. Lots of sheltered spits.

So first I need to know where on the island you will be staying. Once I have an idea I can look through my light book and Navionics & will happily share some way points and Intel.

We fished and dove off a 14' tinny... Yours is a big boat in comparison
We boated to old Wartime Sitka spruce logging camps, climbing submarine nets hung up on cliffs. So cool! Watch out for logging trucks.
We didn't have a radio.. is it a good idea?

Nice. Thanks guys. It’s still in the early planning stages so all I can say for sure is the wife wants to spend a week each in Masset, Queen Charlotte city and Skidegate. Doing the tourist thing. I’m pretty sure we can probably cover the attractions in each town In about 3 days per location but maybe I’m wrong? She’s up for anything after that. Not sure where exactly we will be setting up camp but won’t be leaving my boat in the water over nights so short drives to launches are ok. Any recommendations on campsites? Looking on the net it doesn’t seem as if a guy has too many choices really. We’re not glamping types either. Rugged is ok with us. And great point about the bush radio. I’ve got one and will install it in the RV just on general principals that it’s better to have it than not.

Things could have changed lol, it was 1990. The trucks were big and fast and it was their road.
We camped in all sorts of amazing primitive camping spots.

Back