Sky rocketing fuel prices

We gave up an important part of our sovereignty when we signed onto that god awful Paris Agreement.

What an absolute farce.

The (arbitrary) goals were NEVER going to be met so it’s purely a wealth transfer mechanism.

Why do we keep looking at countries like China as a “developing nation”? Do we keep looking at them like that until they are our overlords?

All I’ve seen is that the alarmists have tied a hand behind our backs with science that is very much still debateable.

Follow the USA and get the hell out of this agreement. Alarmists say “think of the children!” Well I sure do worry about how my children are going to live when this crazy “anti economy” mindset runs it’s cause over the next decade or so.
Where’s the love button?

Relax fellas.....

Relax fellas.....

You can make light of my mindset GLG, but it’s the irrational line of thinking that will have us sitting here in 20-30 years asking “what the hell happened?”

I see you often fight on the side that will bring on our downfall.

You can make light of my mindset GLG, but it’s the irrational line of thinking that will have us sitting here in 20-30 years asking “what the hell happened?”

Not interested in conspiracy theories but if you have policy ideas that can meet our goals to lower GHG's..... I'm willing to listen and I also think that's a conversation worth having.

Not interested in conspiracy theories but if you have policy ideas that can meet our goals to lower GHG's..... I'm willing to listen and I also think that's a conversation worth having.

Seems, via the IEA, that the Paris Agreement has nothing to do with the lowering of emissions.

https://www.iea.org/geco/

In 2017, the USA beat the rest of the world in lowering their emissions.

What I found interesting was that the Darling of the renewable mob (Germany) grew their emissions by 46 million tons and the savvy Chinese (who don’t have to pay a cent if they fail to meet targets) grew theirs by almost a full percentage point.

On top of that, the WHO rated USA air quality as one of the cleanest in the world. Once again beating the brow beating Europeans like Germany, Italy, Austria, France, UK.

So maybe it’s on people like yourself to explain why Canada is still signed up to this agreement?

Kinda like we’re sitting here now wondering what happened to our environment and how we’re going to fix it. Right?

So yesterday in Delta gas was 151.00. Gas in Duncan this morning in Duncan, Mill Bay is 141.00 on island. Mmmm. +.10 a litre difference and we are on island?

So yesterday in Delta gas was 151.00. Gas in Duncan this morning in Duncan, Mill Bay is 141.00 on island. Mmmm. +.10 a litre difference and we are on island?
Check the difference in transit tax etc. We tend to forget about a third of the price is taxes and that they vary.

I went on a charter in Hawaii it was 800 usd for 8 hours. Was a decent size boat with twin diesel screws. We trolled at like 8 knots the whole time captain ran the boat and had a mate run all fishing gear.

I have no idea how they made money

if you caught fish they take it to market.

Kinda like we’re sitting here now wondering what happened to our environment and how we’re going to fix it. Right?

Yep, I would agree.

But remember that if your economy is failing and people’s bellies aren’t full then the environment and human rights go out the window. Why do you think a man would gladly kill the last White Rhino? Because his kid is starving.

I feel the way I do about the Paris scam because it’s exploiting people’s guilt and fear and not solving anything.

I filled up the sporty car with high test the other day and it was $1.68 a litre. Given that the cost of a barrel of oil is about half what it once was and has been for a long time, it is hard not to conclude that the oil corps. and the politicians (more fuel taxes when the price is up) are taking advantage.

Last edited:
Seems, via the IEA, that the Paris Agreement has nothing to do with the lowering of emissions.

https://www.iea.org/geco/

In 2017, the USA beat the rest of the world in lowering their emissions.

What I found interesting was that the Darling of the renewable mob (Germany) grew their emissions by 46 million tons and the savvy Chinese (who don’t have to pay a cent if they fail to meet targets) grew theirs by almost a full percentage point.

On top of that, the WHO rated USA air quality as one of the cleanest in the world. Once again beating the brow beating Europeans like Germany, Italy, Austria, France, UK.

So maybe it’s on people like yourself to explain why Canada is still signed up to this agreement?

You do know that the US is still under the agreement till Dec 2020 right?

No matter.... so let's look at how the US was able to reach those targets. What type of policy did they use. Those answers are in here.
http://www4.unfccc.int/Submissions/...er Note INDC and Accompanying Information.pdf

Since 2009, the United States has completed the following regulatory actions:
• Under the Clean Air Act, the United States Department of Transportation and the United States Environmental Protection Agency adopted fuel economy standards for light-duty vehicles for model years 2012-2025 and for heavy-duty vehicles for model years 2014-2018.
• Under the Energy Policy Act and the Energy Independence and Security Act, the United States Department of Energy has finalized multiple measures addressing buildings sector emissions including energy conservation standards for 29 categories
of appliances and equipment as well as a building code determination for commercial buildings.
• Under the Clean Air Act, the United States Environmental Protection Agency has approved the use of specific alternatives to high-GWP HFCs in certain applications through the Significant New Alternatives Policy program

At this time:
• Under the Clean Air Act, the United States Environmental Protection Agency is moving to finalize by summer 2015 regulations to cut carbon pollution from new and existing power plants.
• Under the Clean Air Act, the United States Department of Transportation and the United States Environmental Protection Agency are moving to promulgate post-2018 fuel economy standards for heavy-duty vehicles.
• Under the Clean Air Act, the United States Environmental Protection Agency is developing standards to address methane emissions from landfills and the oil and gas sector. • Under the Clean Air Act, the United States Environmental Protection Agency is moving to reduce the use and emissions of high-GWP HFCs through the Significant New Alternatives Policy program.
• Under the Energy Policy Act and the Energy Independence and Security Act, the United States Department of Energy is continuing to reduce buildings sector emissions including by promulgating energy conservation standards for a broad range of appliances and equipment, as well as a building code determination for residential buildings.

In addition, since 2008 the United States has reduced greenhouse gas emissions from Federal Government operations by 17 percent and, under Executive Order 13693 issued on March 25th 2015, has set a new target to reduce these emissions 40 percent below 2005 levels by 2025.

So in summary they used regulation to achieve their reductions in GHGs, they did not use a visible carbon tax but there was a cost perhaps a hidden carbon tax. Are you suggesting that Canada should follow and just use regulation as a means to lower our GHGs? It would seem to me that Conservative thought on this is to not use regulation and just let the market figure it out with putting a price on it.

There is a case to be made to use regulation as we can see how that works with this example.
Car on the left gets 8 mpg and the one on the right gets 30 mpg.
DaNj05jVMAAcipU.jpg
DaNklRVU8AAUUx4.jpg

So we agree then?

I never stated that we shouldn’t move towards less emissions, I applaud it.

I’m saying we entered an agreement that we know we can’t fulfill and hence will be forking our BILLIONS to “developing” countries.

The free market can/will/has moved to vehicles/industry with vastly less emissions and with public understanding and pressure they will keep doing so. No I don’t believe it can be pushed by gov alone, it can be incentivized maybe through tax breaks as one example.

You understand?

..and no, they aren’t really bound to anything until 2020 much more than the required reporting schedules.

The last thing I will say on this issue is this, does anyone here think an unelected global body should dictate to us how we tackle what happens in our own backyard?

Or should we, as a sovereign nation, decide the best way forward ourselves?

Those billions of dollars we will inevitably send to our competitors (while they pollute without any consequences) would be much better spent here at home on any number of domestic issues, OR, research and development into renewables that actually work.

Oh, boy... fill up now boys and girls. I just caught the news & it looks like the gloves are off now between these 2 provincial governments. Pick up some Lube, because folks will be needing it at the gas pumps.

The REAL victims in all this are the working people on BOTH sides of the boarder. The average citizen is having the little $$ they have left taken out of there pocket, & others employment is at great risk. The end results are broken family's. Economic burdens are the most damaging event to family's....

This is a sad time for my fellow Canadian brother & Sisters.

$138.9 at Costco in Courtenay-- no doubt they are pissing off the other stations in town that are at $142.9 or higher.....

Back