Skeena Trip: Looking for advice --part II

Steelhead S2

I will be joining my frineds for a trip-of-a-lifeltime trip to the Skeena the first week of September. The encouragement sent my way trough my previous thread on this subject played a big part in making this decision. Thanks for helping me get my head straight guys.

Now that I'm going, I need to know how to fish it. We will be running a combination of fly and gear. For flies (which I'm not as proficient with as I used to be) any guidance is appreciated. I tie reasonably well, but I don't hesitate to buy either.

For gear, I am at a loss. I haven't really fished steelers in September before, except a couple of times on the fly. Does the usual winter arsenal do the job, or is it totaly different stuff? I was thinking I'd tie a bunch of jigs in more muted tones than the winter styles. 6" of hot pink just doesn't seem appropriate for September... but if it is, please let me know.

Anyway, I've never fished the Skeena before, and I've never really fished steel in September before. Help is needed!

Thanks.

For gear try pink worms, Colorado blades, or even a spin n glo with Jensen eggs or roe fished under a dink float. If you like chucking spoons, ironheads and k3 wobblers were always my favorites. Never fly fished for them much, but if fishing spin n glows we had success with everything from hot pink and fluorescent orange to green and blue. If the situation allowed I liked to have a couple rods rigged differently for easy presentation changes.
Have fun, good luck and please post pics when you get back.

Most of the rivers up there (as in ALL the Skeena tribs) have 100% BAIT BANS---I'd keep that in mind while in that neck of the woods

They're aggressive fish--not too picky. You could catch them on a cigarette butt if you rigged it properly. Really.

Most of the rivers up there (as in ALL the Skeena tribs) have 100% BAIT BANS---I'd keep that in mind while in that neck of the woods
Yes sorry meant to meant to mention that. Bait can be deadly on the Skeena, great way to use the roe from salmon caught earlier in the year. Though it's a bit of a pain to fish with compared with other options.

Drive Bye's with bait out of a jet on the skeena works pretty good, cover lots of water ad rack up the numbers....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back