Sitka (home of the Sandlance) Crowdfunding Campaign...

Andrew P

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to fill you all in on a little project that I have been working on; a crowdfunding campaign. There is a lot that has nothing to do with fishing....but I've worked it in a bit. I've put together some new Sandlance combos for it as one of the rewards so I figured I would let you all know. I plan to add a few new special edition ones throughout the 45 day campaign along with some hot new products that I have been working on with Peetz. All prices include tax and free shipping in Canada and the USA or pick up in either Sitka stores in Victoria (570 yates st) or Vancouver (2127 W 4th)

Also, Roy from Blue Wolf Charter's is getting involved too and will be doing a charter or two for the cause. You will note that the price tag is far beyond his normal rate with the proceeds going to conservation. Thanks Roy!

Here is a bit of info about it, but best thing to do is to follow the link at the bottom or watch the video.

[video=vimeo;125511878]https://vimeo.com/125511878

sitka-sandlances.jpg

This 8 pack includes full length decals, ready to fish in the following combos:
Green/Glow
Chartreuse/Glow
Blue/Glow
Aqua/Glow
Red/Glow
Glow/Glow
Moonjelly/Glow
Moonjelly/Moonjelly (with a strip of glow on the back) (Blue Wolf style!).

www.sitka.ca/crowdfund

Rene and I started the company while in University together over 13 years ago and although lot has changed over that time, the core business principles of respecting society and the environment have remained the same.

Over the last decade we have pushed ourselves to find a more sustainable way of operating and it hasn’t always been easy. These choices are not usually the least expensive and Sitka has not been immune to global economic climates. By sticking to our principles, our loyal community has supported us on the path to creating and shaping the business to what it is today.

Sitka has always been involved in a number of wilderness conservation initiatives and wilderness activism is a core value of Sitka so when we saw an opportunity to integrate this value into our existing business model, it was an easy decision.

At the start of 2014 we held a 3 day company retreat to solidify the purpose that Sitka serves...Why does Sitka exist? We declared our Vision to be a World in Balance. What does this mean? Well, we recognize that consumerism is at odds with the environment and we feel that it is necessary that we do our part to change this.

We aren’t perfect and knew that this was going to mean some challenging looks in the mirror and even more hard work to bring Sitka in line with this vision for the future.

For example:

- Moving production back to North America: we are 60% of the way there and will be at 100% by 2016
- a more enhanced focus on sustainable and long lasting products
- And...now launching a dedicated conservation arm to the company, The Sitka Society for Conservation; Effectively cementing our commitment to the environment into the company’s structure.

We are launching an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign to offer our way of doing business: building purposeful outdoor products that last and supporting conservation efforts - to a wider audience. The larger we’re able to expand our community of Sitka supporters, the greater the impact we’ll have in the realm of conservation. We hope that this campaign with do this for us and also generate some much needed capital.

It would be very awesome if you are able to share the link within your own network and of course contributions are great also. Any feedback would also be very helpful.

Thanks and have a great day!

Andrew

Nice work Andrew, impressive direction you're taking the company.

Can people contribute or buy in store for the indiegogo or only online?

That's great, good for you Andrew! I make an effort to buy things made in North America, so I applaud a business owner looking at making a better company, likely at the expense of the bottom line.

I watched the video. I am trying to understand. What part of this isn't a hand out towards your company? I would remove the word " profit" from the whole thing. It leaves a bad taste IMO. Visually put forward for sure. There are other things at stake here for that said profit.

I run my own company as well. Blood, sweat, and tears. I give back as well on my own time without asking for hand out's. I don't use economic downturns as an excuse. I work harder in those times. I research animal populations and science. I don't have knee jerk reactions towards killing bears or wolves that are out of balance in this man made world. I don't have commercial interest in bear watching or wolf watching enterprises like some of your friends.

If the funds are going to true science and the true benefit of the environment then great. If they are going to promote someones views or "profits" then that is really a whole different story.

I personally think this could make for some interesting discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to address part of your rant sculpin. Even though it's way off topic from the original purpose of this thread, yes there is definitely some interesting discussion to be had.. Clearly you don't like one of the environmental groups involved. I can appreciate that as many environmental groups give me mixed feelings as they potentially threaten both my career path (marine industry) and my personal interests (hunting, fishing). On the other hand, many of these same groups are in the field going to battle for many causes that I fully support.

When you ask if the funds are going to true science and the true benefit of the environment think about the recent herring scenario on the central coast. What did true science do there? Even if an environmental group had their own research it wouldn't have mattered because DFOs true science allowed for an opening. If true science suggests we can sustainably fish herring, then maybe it should've never been protested but I think the majority of us would say otherwise. Without Pacifc Wild capturing the footage and bringing the whole story into everyone's living room I bet that fishery would have reopened. Organizations such as Pacifc Wild have a lot to offer. Are these groups completely non profit and are they always going to work in our favour? Hell no, but we are better off with them. True science doesn't always matter especially when the government is involved.

Any chance your somewhat aggressive post was influenced by your displeasure with a certain groups anti wolf cull and anti trophy hunt stance? I think so....but maybe not :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the video. I am trying to understand. What part of this isn't a hand out towards your company? I would remove the word " profit" from the whole thing. It leaves a bad taste IMO. Visually put forward for sure. There are other things at stake here for that said profit.

I run my own company as well. Blood, sweat, and tears. I give back as well on my own time without asking for hand out's. I don't use economic downturns as an excuse. I work harder in those times. I research animal populations and science. I don't have knee jerk reactions towards killing bears or wolves that are out of balance in this man made world. I don't have commercial interest in bear watching or wolf watching enterprises like some of your friends.

If the funds are going to true science and the true benefit of the environment then great. If they are going to promote someones views or "profits" then that is really a whole different story.

I personally think this could make for some interesting discussion.

Thanks for your comments Sculpin.

Re: What part of this isn't a hand out towards your company?

I guess in a way every purchase made from any company is a handout towards them. There are products being sold here. Just asking people to vote with their wallet. One of the points of the crowdfunding campaign is to establish and drive membership for our newly formed conservation society. Those members will have a vote on what sort of projects and groups are supported in the future. It's of course great that you give back as a business owner and I very much do to as a business owner. This is actually imbedding that giving into the company and not just for the choice of shareholders.

I am reading between the lines that you perhaps don't approve of pacificwild and the work that they do. Correct me if I'm wrong here. I don't believe that they have commercial interest in bear and wolf watching, but again correct me if I am wrong. I strongly support the work that they do. Hambone is absolutely correct that the herring fishery on the central coast would not have been stopped if it were not for them being out in the field studying the herring at the time. In fact, it was by pure fluke that they were able to capture the seine fishery footage that they did; they were filming the herring spawn in the middle of the night when they saw commercial boats heading up the coast secretly in the dead of night for the surprise opening. They pulled anchor and headed up.

Another group that we strongly support is the Surfrider Foundation. They do some 'real' science but do a lot more advocacy and rally the community to clean up coasts around the world. We support them not just because of the science, but for all of the things that they do and Pacificwild is no different. They are performing science and advocacy.

Anyways, Sitka has always been a for profit business and we have recently formed a non-profit side to put our money where our mouth is.

Looks very interesting Andrew. To be clear it is a new non-profit and you are a founding member of this new society and Sitka is a separate private company that supports the society through the 1% donation? It's difficult for business owners to take on the millions of details of surviving and contributing to the community. You're doing a great job.

Great initiative, lots of respect for all entrepreneurs and especially those in the clothing business who make a go of it here on the island. I followed one of your indirect competitors crowdfunding campaign last year and they are exciting.

Don't take on the critic above, keep on innovating and trying new things. I'll come by and get a sandlance this week. I'm already on the board of a couple societies and have joined the Anglers Coalition, so I won't join but will be watching with interest.

Looks very interesting Andrew. To be clear it is a new non-profit and you are a founding member of this new society and Sitka is a separate private company that supports the society through the 1% donation? It's difficult for business owners to take on the millions of details of surviving and contributing to the community. You're doing a great job.

Great initiative, lots of respect for all entrepreneurs and especially those in the clothing business who make a go of it here on the island. I followed one of your indirect competitors crowdfunding campaign last year and they are exciting.

Don't take on the critic above, keep on innovating and trying new things. I'll come by and get a sandlance this week. I'm already on the board of a couple societies and have joined the Anglers Coalition, so I won't join but will be watching with interest.

Thanks Kaelc,

"To be clear it is a new non-profit and you are a founding member of this new society and Sitka is a separate private company that supports the society through the 1% donation? "

That is correct that it is a new society that stands beside and is supported by Sitka. Going forward, 1% of all sales from any customers purchase goes to the society. Purchases by society members double the contribution to 2%. That is how it will be going forward, but for this campaign most of the margin (price less cost to produce the item and ship it) goes to fire up the engine.

Thanks for all of your questions and happy to answer. We are heading into some uncharted territory for us and any feedback is appreciated.

Just ordered 8 pack sand lances , great work Andrew keep it up. I'll offer you the same deal this year as last in the banana challenge derby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back