Silver Streak “Gambier”

TheNootkaRose

Hi folks, I’m starting to narrow down my search field a bit.

Has anyone owned or been on a shorter Silver Streak cabin, specifically their “Gambier” 18’6 ET HT model?

Question: is there anything you didn’t like or would change, or any options you would absolutely get? Thinking 150hp.

This would be a combo adventure/fishing boat. 50/50 time split between east coast VI and Barkley/Clayoquot area.

Hit me with what you hated, disliked, would swap in/out from stock.

Thx

I have a 2004 SS 18.6 Hardtop. Things I had added when building the boat that I love:
  • full width engine pod with flotation
  • larger 40 gal fuel tank
  • walk through windshield - makes beaching boat much easier
  • dual batteries with ACR switch
  • 4 rocket launchers
  • no paint - only hull decals, paint does not last on a aluminum boat and is expensive and labour intensive to maintain. If you don't maintain it is looks crappy over time. No Clear Coat when it goes it looks like your boat has skin cancer.
  • go with a 150 HP, less is too little if you load up your boat, more is just burning more fuel
Things I wish I had installed/built at the time: (most of which I have since added)
  • suspension seat for the driver (aluminum boats do pound)
  • enclosed cabin with locking door for warmth and security or at least canvas drop cover to keep the wind and rain out.
  • larger fuel tank to increase range
  • trim tabs to decrease pounding and improve ride
  • hydraulic steering
  • radar stand/tower
  • 6 rocket launchers for rods and net
  • Automatic bilge pump
  • electric window fan to clear the inside of your windows
  • heater if you run all year round
  • cabin and cockpit LED lighting
  • docking lights if you run at night
  • larger breaker panel to add more options over time
Overall great, tough, sea worthy, low maintenance boat that has served me very well and kept me fishing and safe on both sides of Vancouver Island including every sound on the West Coast.

Last edited:
I have a 2004 SS 18.6 Hardtop. Things I had added when building the boat that I love:
  • full width engine pod with flotation
  • larger 40 gal fuel tank
  • walk through windshield - makes beaching boat much easier
  • dual batteries with ACR switch
  • no paint - only hull decals, paint does not last on a aluminum boat and is expensive and labour intensive to maintain. If you don't maintain it is looks crappy over time. No Clear Coat when it goes it looks like your boat has skin cancer.
  • go with a 150 HP, less is too little if you load up your boat, more is just burning more fuel
Things I wish I had installed/built at the time: (most of which I have since added)
  • suspension seat for the driver (aluminum boats do pound)
  • enclosed cabin with locking door for warmth and security or at least canvas drop cover to keep the wind and rain out.
  • larger fuel tank to increase range
  • trim tabs to decrease pounding and improve ride
  • hydraulic steering
  • radar stand/tower
  • 6 rocket launchers for rods and net
  • Automatic bilge pump
  • electric window fan to clear the inside of your windows
  • heater is you run all year round
  • cabin and cockpit LED lighting
  • docking lights if you run at night
  • larger breaker panel to add more options over time
Overall great, tough, sea worthy, low maintenance boat that has served me very well and kept me fishing and safe on both sides of Vancouver Island including every sound on the West Coast.

Thanks! Exactly the type of reply I was looking for. Personal experience with these boats is the opinion I’m seeking.

That's a great list. Couple things iv added last few years for convenience mostly but very worthwhile;
-folding bow ladder for beaching, helps a ton with kids especially.
-steps and grab rail for getting over the transom onto the pod if you don't have a door. My dad slipped once and scared me before I had it done.
-washdown pump
-a couple usb outlets for charging phones, navionics kills batteries quick.
-a couple $10 LED strip lights up under the gunnels, lights the deck without blinding and you can use em while running at night.
-had the downrigger mounting pads moved back a few inches so my riggers can swing over behind the transom and cannon ball holders on the pod deck. No lifting.
-im looking to add a cleaning station the full size of the fish hold lid.

Maybe see if they can put an intermitten option on your wiper motor too, bugs me hitting the switch in chop.

Last edited:
Some great ideas here. I have a Gambier thats about 5 months old so still feeling it out.

I went with the two piece windshield. The walk thru is a bit tight so I skipped it although the dog won't walk around so a challenge getting her on from the beach! Better visibility with two piece but the ventilation would be nice in the summer.
Larger fuel tank - mine is 200l.
Hydraulic steering,
Dual batteries, USB, downrigger plugs.
Transom door since I'm not getting any younger,
Boarding ladder (more for when it's on the trailer than water access),
I'm insulating the cabin - so far just the headliner which makes it much quieter inside,
Adding a diesel heater soon,
No paint (for all the reasons Whole in the Water listed),
Trim tabs - not yet. Would like to hear if it's a big difference.
150 is the right motor (Merc Sea Pro in my case)
And yes, intermittent wiper!

Very happy with the boat. Mainly used as a commuter / work boat around Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast and across to Nanaimo. Replacing my DE 176 which did all those thing but with a bit less comfort and security.

Cheers,
Graeme

You guys are restoring my faith in this forum, haha. Great answers.
All the type of stuff I was thinking about but wanted specific feedback on. Great to know everyone's priorities.

Some great ideas here. I have a Gambier thats about 5 months old so still feeling it out.

I went with the two piece windshield. The walk thru is a bit tight so I skipped it although the dog won't walk around so a challenge getting her on from the beach! Better visibility with two piece but the ventilation would be nice in the summer.
Larger fuel tank - mine is 200l.
Hydraulic steering,
Dual batteries, USB, downrigger plugs.
Transom door since I'm not getting any younger,
Boarding ladder (more for when it's on the trailer than water access),
I'm insulating the cabin - so far just the headliner which makes it much quieter inside,
Adding a diesel heater soon,
No paint (for all the reasons Whole in the Water listed),
Trim tabs - not yet. Would like to hear if it's a big difference.
150 is the right motor (Merc Sea Pro in my case)
And yes, intermittent wiper!

Very happy with the boat. Mainly used as a commuter / work boat around Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast and across to Nanaimo. Replacing my DE 176 which did all those thing but with a bit less comfort and security.

Cheers,
Graeme

You wouldn't happen to keep yours in Squamish? You get yours from Inlet Marine?

21′ Bowen – Cabin with 6 ppl capacity is more sensible.

Here are the latest prices :

2019 SILVER STREAK 18FT CARMANAH H/T Mercury 115XL $61,995.00

2019 Silver Streak 18′-6″ Challenger Hard Top Mercury 150XL 4 Stroke $79,700.00

2019 SILVER STREAK 18’6″ Gambier Cabin Mercury 150HP + 9.9 kicker $92,000.00

2019 SILVER STREAK 21FT BOWEN CABIN Mercury 225HP+9.9 HP kicker $118,000.00

2019 SILVER STREAK 21FT PHANTOM Mercury 225HP+9.9 HP kicker $141,000.00

Last edited:
Does anyone have any feedback on the 21’ Bowen? I am curious about how it handles in bigger seas and chop.

Back