sickle hooks

So far not a big fan, they rust away quickly without diligent care and I was none too pleased when they broke at the bottom bend and my guest's prized Chinook disappeared. :(

CIVANO: The sickle hooks that come on the Kingfisher Lite spoons are not very good as fishin_magician has replied. I have had a couple break as well at the bend, they also rust pretty quickly unless rinsed and dried right away. New these hooks are o.k. but replace as soon as any rust appears with 3/0 Mustad stainless siwash.
The red Matzuo 6/0 sickle hooks have worked o.k. for me on the hootchies I have tried them on but I will likely go back to 4/0 and 5/0 Mustad stainless.

...Rob

thanks for the feedback I used the 4/0 last summer with hoochies and spoons without any breakage and thought they held the fish better than other barbless hooks. i paid a ton for 6 packs and saw this as a real good price, but i will think about it before buying.

I've been using the sickle hooks now for several years. I've never had a single sickle siwash hook break. I did get a bad batch of sickle octopus one year and had several of those break one trip off the WCVI. I also haven't had a real problem with those hooks rusting. I'm pretty religous about rinsing all my gear. I keep of bucket of fresh water with lemon joy on the boat and when the gear comes off, in it goes. Seems to really save the gear for me. It also doesn't take much effort to get sharpen the sickles back to super sharp either IMO. I'm a fan of the sickles as they seem to hook up well and really hold hooked fish. In fairness though, lots of you fish far more that I do each year so the wear and tear, rust ect. is likely more much more of an issue for you than it is for me.

Back