Shuswap River motorboat ban proposed by North Okanagan Regional District

agentaqua

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...by-north-okanagan-regional-district-1.3096875

Shuswap River motorboat ban proposed by North Okanagan Regional District

District says there are concerns about erosion and potential collisions

CBC News Posted: Jun 02, 2015 10:29 AM PT| Last Updated: Jun 02, 2015 10:29 AM PT

Many people enjoy floating down the scenic Shuswap River, shown here near Enderby, B.C. (Laurel Neufeld)

Motorboats could soon be banned from parts of B.C.'s Shuswap River, under new regulations proposed by the North Okanagan Regional District.

The District wants to create three zones on the river
■Zone 1: vessel engine size limited to 10 horse power from Mara Lake upstream to Baxter Bridge.
■Zone 2: no motorized vessels from Baxter Bridge upstream to the eastern end of Skookumchuck Rapids Park.
■Zone 3: no motorized vessels from South Mabel Lake upstream to the Shuswap Falls.

The district's sustainability coordinator Anna Page says river bank erosion and the risk of motorboats crashing into swimmers and tubers are a concern.

"The decision to consider boating regulations for the Shuswap River has come about due to numerous occasions where community groups and residents have raised concerns with respect to the impacts of motorized vessels on the Shuswap River over the past 20 years" said Page.

"We don't have any known incidents of collisions, but a lot of people talk about near-misses," said Page.

The regional district wants public input on the proposed boating regulations and is hosting public meetings on July 10 and 11. Any restrictions would ultimately have to be approved by Transport Canada.

Homeowner concerned

Riverfront property owner Mike Steiner says he's already concerned how it could affect his access to his dock.

"You know, it would be devastating. I have over $100,000 invested in a dock for mooring my boat. That would be for no value I guess."

Steiner says speed restrictions are a better idea that all out bans on motors.

"It just seems like a very dramatic proposal. I don't see why they haven't consulted anybody. There is a ton of alternative proposals of restrictions that they could do."

Seems to me the that the North Okanagan Regional District has an inflated idea of where their authority lies. The water column is federal jurisdiction. Looks like another court battle at some point....

Seems to me the that the North Okanagan Regional District has an inflated idea of where their authority lies. The water column is federal jurisdiction. Looks like another court battle at some point....

Interesting, there are power and boating restrictions on freshwater portions of rivers, like the Thompson and HP restrictions on lakes. Do Provincial regulators have to get federal approval?

I've done that float....very peaceful and fun but never encountered any powerboats when we went down

This is a good thing. I used to fish salmon on the upper Shuswap. The river there is as narrow as 25 feet in some places. You could count on at least one jet boat full of monkeys ripping up the river a day. Doing donuts and generally wreaking havoc with their big wakes. I'm sure not every jet boat pilot is an idiot, but some of the ones I've seen on the upper Shuswap definatly are.

Clint, I think you mean the mid-Shu above Mabel Lake as there are no salmon above Shuswap Falls in either the upper portion of the middle-Shuswap or the Upper-Shuswap above Sugar Lake.

Agentaqua, it states right in the article that you posted that restrictions would have to go through Transport Canada.

Can't say that I can argue with banning motorized boats from the spawning reaches in the mid and lower shuswap, at least not during spawning and incubation seasons. Used to a very nice river to paddle but, like many rivers its size popular with jet boaters these days.

Ukee

Back