shrimp fishing

P

Phil McCracken

I tye my own baggy shrimp with seal fur dubbing and mono ribbing. I use some like colored hackle for the tail and antenna. For some reason they often flip upside down in the water. Fish come and take a look and say "see ya later sucker". If they do fish upright, the fish are very interested. I tie them on with the improved cinch knot. Am I doing something wrong or is there a prefered knot for shrimp fishing?

Phil

Phil McCracken

For the ribbing i usually use copper wire instead of mono.
some of the patterns I use some very thin gauge lead and wrap the hook first, then go with the seal fur, and then the baggy.
But as soon as i tie the fly on to my line, i place the fly in the water and squeeze the fly, (that releases the air pocket between the baggy and the hook.)
should have no problems.

For the ribbing i usually use copper wire instead of mono.
some of the patterns I use some very thin gauge lead and wrap the hook first, then go with the seal fur, and then the baggy.
But as soon as i tie the fly on to my line, i place the fly in the water and squeeze the fly, (that releases the air pocket between the baggy and the hook.)
should have no problems.

G_reg,
A note about using lead wire in your fly. Check regs, in some areas you cannot use lead of any kind while fishing. I switched to using "lead-free solder" for my patterns. Its certainly not as heavy as lead but is flexible, cheap (Can-Tire) and available in a variety of thicknesses. I usually flatten it before use so really its like I'm tying in a weighted ribbon.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

G_reg,
A note about using lead wire in your fly. Check regs, in some areas you cannot use lead of any kind while fishing. I switched to using "lead-free solder" for my patterns. Its certainly not as heavy as lead but is flexible, cheap (Can-Tire) and available in a variety of thicknesses. I usually flatten it before use so really its like I'm tying in a weighted ribbon.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Back