Should The BC Government Get involved in the Chinook issue ( JOBS)

Hindsight

I would like to know how fellow anglers feel about our BC governments lack of action against this mass job loss that could happen if these Chinook changes take place. I feel there needs to be a financial Package available to businesses that are affected by this decision.

I'm thinking there must be away that someone out west can manage fisheries and not some asshat back east that doesn't even know what a salmon or halibut is!

The fisheries should be run with two offices, one on the west coast and one on the east coast. No rats allowed and heavy input from biologists and scientists. Ottawa is full of greasy palms and hogs at the trough, nuff said.

I'm thinking there must be away that someone out west can manage fisheries and not some asshat back east that doesn't even know what a salmon or halibut is!

Western Canada separatist Party... Quebec can do it why can't we? Ottawa wouldn't lose much as it only deals with Manitoba east anyways.... then sells out the rest.

J dub .... The government(DFO) would save money dong its job over compensation that will be warranted if this goes through because of their previous mistakes.

Look what doing your job does......

The council's experts said there are 820,000 chinook in the ocean now preparing to return to the Sacramento River system to lay eggs next fall.Another 1.6 million chinook from the Klamath River are out there, according to the estimates - one of the largest populations of salmon on record.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/08/MN471NHHMF.DTL&tsp=1

That is freaking California :mad:

Not to mention the predicted returns to the Columbia

By the time DFO finishes dishing out all their Jimmy P openings I would be surprised if 1.6 million springs spawn on the whole Island

Last edited by a moderator:
It's our coast, not Ottawa's
we need our own provincial fishery authority
staffed by locals who have a better understanding.

Will never happen RS... the province has little or no control over FN.... treaties are pretty much Federal as far as I know. I have talked to fisheries guys a few times about that.

All local MPs and MLAs should be invited for tomorrow's meeting. Can someone send a mass email to all of them out please?

I have heard it may have already been done Chris..

I not it was in a E I just sent to Mr. Hogan....

I feel that the DFO and the province both have to man up and tell the Feds to slow there roll. Dfo should be the good guys. Its seem they and province think they have no say in commercial or fn fishing so they just turn a blind eye to them and since the rec sector is easy to push around thats what they do. That is what is so frustrating and are making us turn on each other.

Im sure if this is already happening Im geussing it is but I would also like to see the SFAB use and include us in what the talks are going between dfo and them inbetween meetings so we know how we make a more useful realtionship between rec fisherman, sfab, dfo and hopfully on to feds. We have people who are willing to gather data and submit real time information. Not a study that take 5 yrs and is obsolete by the time its done. Thats what I learned from that last meeting. Us saying why the crazy timings with openings and closures and dfo saying we dont know when fish are moving threw and us saying we could help if knew. Seems to no communication with the 3 groups. Like the meeting tomorrow. How would people even know about it? the sfab dont even post up notices anywhere so the rec sector looks like they dont care when no one shows up for a meeting that supposed to be representing them when we do alot.

I have heard it may have already been done Chris..

I not it was in a E I just sent to Mr. Hogan....
These guys can show up because they are not in power and are looking for votes. I want to know how their party stands on these issues before the next prov election so i can cast my vote with knowing they will fight for our rights. I have lead Protests in the past against the Federal Government on the water and it was affective. It my be time for this to happen again..We all need to stand together from all over BC. Just because it is not in my backyard does not mean you do not help out your neighbour. We let this happen it will keep rolling. The main point we need to get out to the general public is the Truth about how DFO has miss Managed our West Coast Fishery and Continues to do so. We need FACTS and TRUTHS and to get it out to the public in a manner they can understand.

As far as fact and truths go, with regards to DFO not doing there job, there is lot of info available

Mr. Horgan says he will be there.. He's our provincial MLA for the riding. Better than nothing.

Denise Savoie...... I really wonder what she thinks?..

Got the new motors on yet??

The fisheries should be run with two offices, one on the west coast and one on the east coast. No rats allowed and heavy input from biologists and scientists. Ottawa is full of greasy palms and hogs at the trough, nuff said.
Don't even think for one second that getting scientists involved to run a fishery is a good idea.Look no further than the IPHC to see that that is a bad idea.Our surveys in Canada are at record highs and our TAC is at a low.

can't stop the FN??

same thinking runs rampant down this way in regard to the treaty tribes. the Elwha restoration, dam removal, is well underway. the Lower Elwha S'Klallam wanted to plant chambers creek steelhead to '...allow tribal members something to fish for...' NOAA, NMFS, NPS and WDFW bio's all spoke out against this move. the chambers creek stocks were developed just like the foster farms chickens, grows fast, adapted to concrete ponds, cheap to raise and die at sea. 4 peanut sized environmental groups sent a letter to all of those parties with 'an intent to sue'. the time period ran out and they went to federal court. low and behold, the LEK backed off, for a year, and will not be stocking these fish. the law suit remains in place and should that tribe attempt to move forward following this time period, the federal court will be back in play.

for too long, all of us have assumed the tribes are off limits and unregulated. false, they can be taken to court and legal action can be taken against them on the behalf of all citizens.

what you folks need is to clone this experience by finding conservation groups willing to do battle. send them money, lots of it, and make this action public information. turning the tides is super hard but not impossible.

It is going to take alot more than meetings, working groups etc to get anything changed with fisheries in this country.
It is going to take getting political and supreme court.

I am just not sure if people are ready to do that.

DFO managed the east coast stocks and fishery into extinction for the rec fisher, now they are working on the west coast...and doing a mighty fine job.

If you want to see what the west coast will be like in 10 years just have a look over there.

Don't even think for one second that getting scientists involved to run a fishery is a good idea.Look no further than the IPHC to see that that is a bad idea.Our surveys in Canada are at record highs and our TAC is at a low.

This is a totally unsubstantiated and uninformed comment. Science it 99% right, especially if properly funded. It is the politicians who are 99% wrong!!
The East Coast cod fishery was destroyed by politicians, who ignored the warnings and pleadings of the scientists. The list goes on and on.
The scientists who have credibility and integrity are muzzled (Kristi Miller) or forced out (Otto Langer).

Politics are the problem and should be totally removed from natural habitat and resource management...one day perhaps, this might happen.......

can't stop the FN??

same thinking runs rampant down this way in regard to the treaty tribes. the Elwha restoration, dam removal, is well underway. the Lower Elwha S'Klallam wanted to plant chambers creek steelhead to '...allow tribal members something to fish for...' NOAA, NMFS, NPS and WDFW bio's all spoke out against this move. the chambers creek stocks were developed just like the foster farms chickens, grows fast, adapted to concrete ponds, cheap to raise and die at sea. 4 peanut sized environmental groups sent a letter to all of those parties with 'an intent to sue'. the time period ran out and they went to federal court. low and behold, the LEK backed off, for a year, and will not be stocking these fish. the law suit remains in place and should that tribe attempt to move forward following this time period, the federal court will be back in play.

for too long, all of us have assumed the tribes are off limits and unregulated. false, they can be taken to court and legal action can be taken against them on the behalf of all citizens.

what you folks need is to clone this experience by finding conservation groups willing to do battle. send them money, lots of it, and make this action public information. turning the tides is super hard but not impossible.

Totally agree. !!

There are several groups fighting to preserve habitat and fight salmon feed lots. We should all be getting on board with them to fight these battles. The Georgia Strait Alliance has just started a campaign/petition against the proposed changes to the fisheries protection act. Why would we not lend our support on that issue??

http://www.georgiastrait.org/urgent-...eries_act_cuts

The litigation oriented conservation group up here is Ecojustice. They have often acted in courts on behalf of coalitions of conservation groups, first nations and private citizens. The won the recent case to force government to protect Orca habitat.
In fact they are the only group standing between us and the Enbridge pipeline led habitat degradation and/or destruction of many mid-BC rivers and streams (Skeena among them) and total obliteration of the mid-coast ocean environment.

I will say that I do not have the knowledge to argue that, but my experience tells me to trust the politician the least as they have only their own interest at heart.

That is NOT a true statement! Abundance (how many) of biomass is fine; however, size of biomass (weight) is shrinking! Might I suggest either stop with the false information, or go "TROLL" somewhere else. Here is a present for you:

trollspray.jpg

Have a GREAT DAY!

This is a totally unsubstantiated and uninformed comment. Science it 99% right, especially if properly funded. It is the politicians who are 99% wrong!!
The East Coast cod fishery was destroyed by politicians, who ignored the warnings and pleadings of the scientists. The list goes on and on.
The scientists who have credibility and integrity are muzzled (Kristi Miller) or forced out (Otto Langer).

Politics are the problem and should be totally removed from natural habitat and resource management...one day perhaps, this might happen.......

good post , true this is...

Nice one Charlie ,now if we could just teach the trolls how to spray themselves in morning - something along the line as antiperspirant:)
I just got back from one of our local maine/fishing suppliers - you bet there concerned they employ a lot of people who rely on their job to pay bills,taxes and support the local merchants.Then you factor in the provincial sales tax derived from retail sales etc. not to mention the spinoff generated from the tourist sector.Think ubout all the bad publicity generated by DFO last minute discisions to implement fishing restrictions - futhermore how do run a buisiness,order merchandise,hire staff or plan ahead when DFO shows their hand at the last minute.
If the MLA & Provincial goverments want our votes then they should support us in Ottawa!!

Back