Shopping for parts in Victoria!

Little Hawk

I'm so pissed about this I just had to share with all of you out there.

The other day I bought an "O"-ring carb-kit (4-little pcs of rubber) from SG Power for my 9.9 Powerthrust: $20.00 for 6-cents worth of rubber.

I did phone Sherwood Marine for a quote but - same as they did when I asked for a price on a complete 'new' 4.3/l MPI Mercruiser powerplant a couple of years back - they never called me back with a price, so I reluctantly bought the 'Golden O-rings' from SG.

This morning I called SG again for a price on a new impeller for the water pump on the Powerthrust. As most of you know, an impeller is a small injection-molded piece of rubber, in my case, smaller than an Oreo cookie. Price quoted by SG: $38.00

I couldn't believe it. So I called Sherwood Marine wondering if I would be fortunate this time and actually get a price on something.

Sherwood's price: $30.00 plus another 2-something for an O-ring that they advised I should also replace.

Bottom line: I hate people who think it's their God-given right to gouge people.

There, I've vented... I'm okay now.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

That sounds about normal service from SG and Sherwood.Hate both those places.I wish we had decent marine shop in Victoria.

If you can ever get the cross on parts you can save a fortune. A friend found out who makes yamaha oil filters. He found a place in qualicum that sold that brand. 75% cheaper then parksville boat house.

I just paid 13.00 for a piece of threaded plastic drain.

Why get upset over a businesses prices? They have the right to charge what they choose. It is up to you to phone around if you want it cheaper, as you did. SG doesn't hold a gun to your head. Both SG and Sherwood carry a lot of inventory on hand, more so than many smaller dealers. That raises prices. I'll bet when your in a real pinch for a part in a hurry so your not missing any fishing thats where you go and are quite happy when you walk out the door with part in hand. I know one thing for sure, they have the best outboard mechanic in town and his knowledge and skills are worth what SG charges for his time. To bad he will probably retire soon.

I'm in business. Unfortunately "scales of economy" play a major role in our pricing. Even at $30.00 that o ring had to be designed manufactured, packaged and delivered. From the designer, manufacturer,shippers, receivers,sales people, materials, packaging,buildings, liscensing, marketing , on and on and on.........makes it painfully clear that by the time everyone gets their share, that very little is left for the poor ******* trying to peddle it. Sherwood is a middle man.They have alot of things to pay for if they are to stay in business. They have put themsleves in the position of stocking those items for you. The reason no other operations are available to us consumers here in town is because it is a very tough go.

Beleive it or not, but somebody has to pay for what it takes to get the item to you. Otherwise they would definitely be considered a non profit organization. That would'nt last too long and then you would have no where convenient to get your Orings.
So until another system is invented, you the consumer are on the hook if you want it.

My rant

LOL

HL

Valid point, just take a look at how many different hands that are collecting money off your gas bill. If you didn't have those extras your gas bill would be a little easier to swallow.

IMG_1445.jpg

Marine parts are a ticket to print money [xx(]
i paid $2 each for 1/4" nylon gasket for the oil drain plug.
and my impellor was $48. themostat was $53 :(
As soon as it's OEM watch out !

I'm not stupid; I fully understand the economic mechanics of manufacture & distribution & paying retail lease prices in Victoria.

I also understand what it costs run a batch of 100,000 "O"-rings and have them sent over here from China in a large shipping container.

What I don't understand - and have a real problem with - is why I can buy that same "O"-ring at Lordco or Quail Electronics for a quarter of the price a boat shop would sell it for?

You call this fair market economy?

I call it: "He owns a boat - Greek him!"

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

If you don't like th price of marine parts, then never consider buying a n aircraft.

I too was unhappy about the price that I paid locally recently for a thermostat for my 9.9 Yamaha kicker. However, in retrospect, I guess if I had been willing to wait a bit I could have found the same part online for about 50% less. I guess in the end it is a matter of whether you are in a hurry or not to get the part installed. If you are in a rush then you can expect to pay a higher price.

Yeah it's called convenience. You can always find much cheaper prices on line if you are willing to wait.

The other thing to remember is this: Boats, planes, sports cars etc, are considered by many to represent disposable income for those that can afford that luxury item.

The theory is that you are a connoisseur and therefore are paying for satisfaction. Not need.

There is an obvious scale to pricing depending on the customer it is being sold to.

Sad but true.

Some guys just plain like to gouge and rip you off.Just before Christmass,I phoned a Mercury Repair shop in Nanaimo to get a price on a new Cowl Cap for my Optimax.I was quoted $31.95 for the cap,$3.00 for the neoprene gasket,taxes plus $10.00 shipping as apparently there were none out west and they were all in Ontario and even on a regular order I'd have to pay shipping.Something stunk with his story.
I phoned the Mercury dealer in Parksville and was told the parts were in Vancouver and the cost with gasket was $14.95,no shipping charges.I picked it up a couple of days ago.Just over $16.00 taxes in.Guess which dealer I'll do business with in future.
I won't mention the name of the shop in Nanaimo but I'm sure any Mercury owner can figure that out pretty quick.
Dave

When it is starters and alternators they have to be intrinsically safe meaning unable to spark an explosion. The gaskets I believe ar supposed to be of a different composition than OEM parts.
If I am wrong surely I will be corrected. LOL.

IMG_1445.jpg

Personally, I find SG Power to be excellent. They have always provided me with quality and quick service. I have limited experience with Sherwood, but, anytime I've bought from them, I find them responsive and pricing in line with other vendors I've gone to. In fact, one day I called them from Spain regarding a problem with a motor I use there and they were very helpful fixing my problem. Marine parts are expensive everywhere. Buying one small piece that needs to be inventoried often for long periods of time, packaged, managed through a software platform that is networked, shipped often by air and tracked is a costly proposition. Your not just paying for the production cost of the part from China or the container, your paying for all the other indirect costs associated with the part. People in Victoria need to wake up and get with the global program. The cost of something is derived by costing models that consider all these items and more. If someone had figured out how to produce marine parts at Candian Tire or Walmart prices, my guess is they'd have done it by now. They just don't sell as many parts as the auto industry does. Just my .25 worth....

Matador

Why does a 4 foot fluorescent lamp cost $1.50 and a 2 foot costs $4.50? Because they make 100,000's of times more 4 footers in a production run than 2 footers. It has little to do with the cost of materials.

Human Nature !!
A person will gladly pay 100 bucks for a part for his snowmobile or quad but complain like crazy over a 10 buck part for his car.
I have, over time, sold boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, quads, etc, and also have had a stint of selling vehicles.
I can tell you from experience that toys damn near sell themselves but people will shop vehicles to death to save a few bucks.
What it comes down to is quite simple.
If you NEED it, you aren`t happy with the cost, but if you WANT it, it comes down to finding enough money to get it !!

"What it comes down to is quite simple.
If you NEED it, you aren`t happy with the cost, but if you WANT it, it comes down to finding enough money to get it !!"

Well said!

Back