Shawnigan Creek Coho- CVRD Supreme Court Ruling to Hault Soil Dumping Overturned in Appeals Court

Laying a private prosecution charge is always possible (release of a deleterous substance). Can be done - has been done. Talk to WCEL or another support legal group.

There should be some kind of class action lawsuit filed against the cvrd, and Supreme Court for allowing this to happen. The owners of the property itself should also face incredibly heavy fines and possibly jail time for dumping garbage into the environment. Why does it always come down to waiting until the worst possible predicted scenario happens to have people stop doing these things. I'm so tired of the profit over environment mentality of our local government. Bunch of greedy jerks...

Contaminated soil dump at Shawnigan Lake compliant after 22,000L leak, environment minister says
Environment Minister says "political problem" doesn't justify closing site
By Deborah Wilson, CBC News Posted: Oct 18, 2016 7:00 AM PT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/shawnigan-lake-contaminated-soil-dump-leak-1.3809315

Complete ******** at its finest. There you go guys lets all go with gas can and just pour a drop into a salmon enhancement stream and see how far we get. "Political problem". Not even a fine from DFO.

"I can't pull the permit simply because the issue is giving me a political problem," - priceless

Last edited:
Contamination Worries Heighten in Shawnigan Lake
BC Green leader Andrew Weaver calls for environment minister’s resignation.
xAndrew-Nikiforuk-Bio_square_thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EOz_9g2HVS.jpg
By Andrew Nikiforuk Today | TheTyee.ca
http://thetyee.ca/News/2016/10/28/S...ce=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=281016

Hey SV passed your report along at the Area 17 SFAC meeting last night..thank u for taking the time out to get it to me.....:)

Excerpt from article above:

"The Department of National Defense has a contract to truck and dump 88,000 tonnes of contaminated soil from CFB Esquimalt to the quarry. Local residents demonstrated outside the base in April and have asked the federal government not to use the landfill. They cited the B.C. Supreme Court ruling that the landfill violates district-zoning regulations.

But the federal government rejected the request.

“The DND very carefully explored its options before choosing the disposal facility for this project,” it said in a statement. “The chosen site meets criteria, which allows DND to complete this project at a reasonable cost, while respecting the needs of its contractor.”

Furstenau noted that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had promised that his government would seek the permission of communities before forcing inappropriate projects on them. “This community has never given permission for a landfill of this sort,” she said."

Soil dumping to resume at Shawnigan Lake, B.C., following court ruling
Appeal court overrules previous decision by B.C. Supreme Court
The Canadian Press Posted: Nov 03, 2016 8:58 PM PT
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...il-dumping-overturned-in-appeals-court.62924/

Major setback. There is one more court ruling in Supreme Court in alleged fraud case coming hopefully soon. The province has won the argument that this site is a mine and municipal rights don't matter. Contaminated material will start arriving soon again. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
Major setback. There is one more court ruling in Supreme Court in alleged fraud case coming hopefully soon. The province has won the argument that this site is a mine and municipal rights don't matter. Contaminated material will start arriving soon again. Very frustrating.
slimebuckets!

Well, if they want to play that game....

If it is defacto a mine - does it have all the proper "mining" permits??

i.e.: are the Provincial and Federal Environmental Assessments completed, and a EA Certificate obtained? Were a Mines’ Act and Environmental Management Act Permit Applications submitted and approved? Were local FN consulted, and a Memo of Understanding signed-off? Do they have a Mines’ Act Permit, a Mining Lease; a BC MOE Effluent Discharge Permit, and a Special Waste Permit? Do they have a EC – MMER Schedule 2 Designation for the Tailings Impoundment Area?

If they are delinquent in any of the above - maybe you can pursue a injunction?

Last edited:
slimebuckets!

Well, if they want to play that game....

If it is defacto a mine - does it have all the proper "mining" permits??

i.e.: are the Provincial and Federal Environmental Assessments completed, and a EA Certificate obtained? Were a Mines’ Act and Environmental Management Act Permit Applications submitted and approved? Were local FN consulted, and a Memo of Understanding signed-off? Do they have a Mines’ Act Permit, a Mining Lease; a BC MOE Effluent Discharge Permit, and a Special Waste Permit? Do they have a EC – MMER Schedule 2 Designation for the Tailings Impoundment Area?

If they are delinquent in any of the above - maybe you can pursue a injunction?

Yes has been permitted, and approved by MOE. The issue now is there are several other sites across BC that want to do same thing. I am sure your aware of the one that was halted next to Harrison river where their local municipality said no to zoning. In effect if that quarry is mine now it can apply for same permit without municipality blessing. Apparently though hasn't been confirmed there are about 20 or 30 sites across BC that want to do same thing. With deregulation of fisheries act that means it matters not if there are enhancement areas next to these projects. This should worry a lot of anglers across BC. Not good times.

F*uck it then...

Know anyone w a free miners permit? (Believe seniors can get one free)

Stake a claim on the premiers front lawn - and dig up her driveway. Demonstrate how retarded this all is..

Keep and eye on this site near the Harrison river hatchery very next few months. I believe it will resurface now as landowner can know ignore municipality which struck it down. Campbell River near quinsum a hear application of permit is underway. That one in Campbell river is going in if we dont win this.

Back