Shaw services

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3857594864[/URL]
This is what I get with Telus. I guess it's average. Works for netflix and the likes. Any way you look at it, we are getting screwed in BC.

3856534157.png

Last edited by a moderator:
jiggerjim, which service are you referring to? What TV box with what software? Is this a US service you need to set up a VPN for?

FR None of the above. Go to the site I,m purchasing from www.skystream.com click on the blog link and the videos link at the top of the page, there is a wealth of easy to understand information, much more than I could put forth. Not suggesting you purchase this particular one but if your interested and due your own DD you will find its the best one on the market, GL..j.j.

Don't want this to get into a "who has the fastest internet", but these are my speeds on a consistent basis whenever I run it. I pay for the 25mb service for Telus, where as the 15 is the standard. Although after the first year I might drop it down to the 15 to save a couple bucks. Having been with Shaw for many years, there have been a few problems with the service. Under 6 months with Telus so far problem free (knock on wood), but I'm sure there will be problems as well at some point. This is with copper as the fiber is not available to me. There are pluses and negatives about both services. I agree about the cost seeming a bit high (gouging). Really comes down to which is the lesser of 2 evils in your opinion. If Telus keeps the service on par or better than what I had with Shaw, I don't see myself ever going back.

Sorry but as far as I can tell, this does not allow you to play "all movies, tv shows (NOT JUST CANADIAN) and PPV to your television for free." It's another streaming TV box. Just for example to start, using this, how can I legally (and easily) access the following content:
- latest Homeland episodes
- Canucks games
- True Detective
- Modern Family

Well you are totally wrong, it does all that I stated in my previous posts. Free tv, movies, ppv and yes hockey games all totally legal, and for your info I just tried watching True Detective, Modern Family, no problem at all. I am not going to beat this to death it does function as previously stated all you have to do is connect the box to your tv via hdmi cable and your off to the races, end of story..j.j.

I get a 1.45 download. I would suggest those with faster speeds acknowledge they have a first world problem. :) Rural community service is awful. Optic cable goes by Sayward but we won't be able to connect.

I have a Roku box running Plex. I use SickBeard to download all our tv series. I works great. A personal PVR with out comercials to skip through. Took a bit to get setup and running smoothly. NOT for the faint of heart. Just need to get GameCenter Live setup and I will be good to go. Just about ready to cut the cable. Still might miss the six oclock news though.

I do the same as Charlie -- Roku box that runs Plex. We cut our cable over 2 years ago. The only thing that held me back was hockey. Found a service called HockeyStreams.com. Lets you watch EVERY game (NHL, AHL, Junior, KHL, Olympics, Playoffs -- they even had World Cup Soccer). Service costs $120 per year and runs as a channel on the Roku. You can either watch the games Live or PVR, or if you are short of time, you can watch the "Condensed Game". All games give you the option of watching the home or away feeds as well. No Blackouts like NHL Gamecenter.

On Plex, I also use the channel called Let Me Watch This which is similar to SickBeard -- basically every TV Show and Movie ever made for free.

Don't forget too that there is now a ton of HD Content free Over-The-Air. Guys in Vancouver get great content. Nanaimo too. In Victoria depending on where you are, a view towards Seattle will get you 25+ HD channels plus the Victoria locals. The quality of the OTA is actually better than Cable or Satellite as it's not compressed.

For us, we have the Shaw Extreme Internet and Phone with Unlimited LD for North America. I work at home quite a bit and do a bunch of video conferencing so the 25Mb down and 2Mb up works great for that. We added Netflix for $8 and with the Roku box along with Plex and HockeyStreams I've got all my entertainment needs covered.

You may be able to cut your cable with SickBeard or Let Me Watch This, but you are replacing it with a service that requires copy write infringement (torrents and usenet sites). Don't get me wrong, this stuff is great for the viewer, but I've yet to come across anything truly free AND legal in Canada. And if you think about it, it will probably never happen. Content companies don't make stuff for free.

You may be able to cut your cable with SickBeard or Let Me Watch This, but you are replacing it with a service that requires copy write infringement (torrents and usenet sites). Don't get me wrong, this stuff is great for the viewer, but I've yet to come across anything truly free AND legal in Canada. And if you think about it, it will probably never happen. Content companies don't make stuff for free.

Actually, I'd disagree with you there Rob. Personally I find that after cutting the cord, there is more content available either at a modest fee, free, or Pay-Per-View that more than augments what I was paying for. Our old Bell Satellite service bundle ran north of $90 per month when adding the sports, movie and premium channels. I can watch the same content today using a combination of Netflix, HockeyStreams and PPV Movies for less than $20.

If you want to watch movies and TV shows -- Netflix Canada has a great lineup.

If you want to watch Canadian content, there's CBC, CTV etc that all stream their content via the web for free. YouTube, Vimeo and a bunch of other sites are also carrying network shows, music and more. None of that violates any copyright.

We're now even seeing networks like HBO move to provide direct to consumer content.

Actually, I'd disagree with you there Rob. Personally I find that after cutting the cord, there is more content available either at a modest fee, free, or Pay-Per-View that more than augments what I was paying for. Our old Bell Satellite service bundle ran north of $90 per month when adding the sports, movie and premium channels. I can watch the same content today using a combination of Netflix, HockeyStreams and PPV Movies for less than $20.

If you want to watch movies and TV shows -- Netflix Canada has a great lineup.

If you want to watch Canadian content, there's CBC, CTV etc that all stream their content via the web for free. YouTube, Vimeo and a bunch of other sites are also carrying network shows, music and more. None of that violates any copyright.

We're now even seeing networks like HBO move to provide direct to consumer content.

Yeah we had the family meeting last night...Cable is gone....Were just going to use netflix for a while... I will save enough for a vacation every year... We may also cancel our phone and just use cellphones. Its a savings of about $2400 a year.

I cancelled my Shaw phone too - went with Ooma. $99 one time cost (costco or others). $4 per month, unlimited long distance north america, voice mail and few other nice features like auto email if 911 dialed from home, voicemail to email, etc.

Cable gone along with the phone. I have broadband 50, speeds are usually 49-51 Mb/s download, so no complaints.

I cancelled my Shaw phone too - went with Ooma. $99 one time cost (costco or others). $4 per month, unlimited long distance north america, voice mail and few other nice features like auto email if 911 dialed from home, voicemail to email, etc.

Cable gone along with the phone. I have broadband 50, speeds are usually 49-51 Mb/s download, so no complaints.
$139 to buy, $9.99 a month, Canada wide calling, one year plan they will port your existing number for free if not $39.99, pennies per minute US calling.

Interesting but it would take 12 months before really seeing any savings. At that point id only be saving about 25%

http://www.costco.ca/Ooma-Telo-Air-Wireless-VoIP-Home-Phone-Service-Bundle-.product.10395616.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back