Sharpening with a belt grinder

Here’s what I’ve used for about 30 years; https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/sharpening/44884-sander-grinder. It was a lot cheaper back then but I had to put my own motor on it. I used a second hand washing machine motor. It still works great and can get new belts from them too. I use it for hooks, knives, chisels etc. It also has an attachment for doing long planer-type blades.

I had one of those , mounted it horizontally on the bench , built a jig for it and it was my primary knife sharpener in my shop , slow rpm is key to not heating up and lee valley and skookum tools had a great assortment of grits , hair splitting sharp

we have a mini belt sander with exchangeable belts in our boat shed, it was 50 bucks on eBay. does a good job. I will try and find the name/brand of it.

I have a Worksharp. Does a great job. Is the older one without infinite adjustable angles. Does scissor s, knives, etc. has an angled rest for different tools. At least 3 different grits available. I also have stones, but the Worksharp is so convenient, I use that and a steel pretty much exclusively.

Back