SFI Fishing App - just launched

Is there a trick to enabling the GPS? I cant seem to find that function.....??

If you go under Regulations -> Choose a Location -> Use Your Current Location

I wasn't meaning like a chart plotter if that's what you were thinking. I can't assess that from my current location so don't know how effective it is.

Android guy here as well :(
Good idea for an app and about time.

I can't see/use the app right now but am I correct in saying it will allow you to use GPS to show what management area you're in and the associated regs?
And it will include your license?

Because they have the die hard apple users brainwashed that the platform is so much better. They charge more for the Apple products and their consumers have accepted the fact that you have to pay for most iPhone apps. Developers can sell their products easier on the iPhone platform because their users accept that most apps cost money. Android users expect most small apps to be free or low cost, so I guess there's not as much money and incentive in it for developers.
Because I phone users have more money and are gullible compared to Android users?? You have any facts to back that up?

I didn't want to derail the entire thread. All you really need for evidence is to look at the comparable purchase price across the whole Apple product line. From phones, to home computers, tablets, you pay a huge premium for buying Apple.

In some cases in the market place you get extra value for paying a premium. Like a Grady-White, you get your lifetime hull warranty. In Apples case I see no extra value in paying a premium.

To each their own. Every device has it's quirks. When my contract was over I couldn't wait to dump my iPhone fast enough. IMO just as many issues as any other phone but couldn't stand all their restrictions. I love being able to do something as simple as use a second party app for texting without having to jailbreak my phone. The last straw was doing an IOS update that I didn't like and then finding out Apple won't let you roll back an update. To my mind it's just not worth the premium.

I use my Android phone with my Linux home computer and I love the way it integrates with it. I am typing on my phone and it is writing the text on my big screen TV connected to my comp as I type on my phone. Each text I receive on my my phone is displayed on my TV immediately and I can respond to it from my computer if I choose.. I can use my Android phone to control my media player or as a remote keyboard all by installing as simple free app called "kde connect". It also syncs your clipboard and internet browsers between your phone and home computer, as well as letting you transfer files. So I'd say my home devices and my Android phone play pretty well together too.

ps I was just reading that posted article and most of it is a joke. It reads like a paid Apple advert, not unbiased content. They list three year Ios updates as a big bonus. Don't try to update your OS on any three year old phone. The original phone wasn't designed for present day operating systems. It will choke on today's OS's higher demand for resources and run like a slug. That so called article is nothing more than a paid ad for Apple. Apples proprietary cables are a big plus, please. You can't even buy a cheap pair of cables for an iPhone because apple changed there OS to only accept Apple cables. No mention of the Camera function in that article. The Apple camera feature is pitiful compared to the quality of pictures taken with the superior camera hardware in Android phones. Apple sells an extended warranty, big bonus, seriously. Every retail outlet sells extended warranties on the phones they sell, come on, that's a joke. I could go on and on about what's a joke about that article, but even calling it an article is a joke. It's nothing more than thinly disguised advertising. You think that is unbiased journalism at play here. I would imagine the author got comped a new iPhone to write that promo.

I wasn't intending to side track this post, but guys keep bringing it up. Sorry for the rant, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:
In my opinion, everyone is entitled to there own opinion. But of course, that is only my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. They're like a***holes cause everybody's got one. :)

Last edited:
let start talking about the app IF you want to discuss phone make a new thread!!!!!
I know alot of work went into making the app and some great people did alot of hard work to get it to this stage ever thought of that?
personally im going to like the fact that my client will be able to record on his catch as its been a real struggle last few years when the stopped issuing lic in store....
with everything new your going to have a few things to work out but YEEEAAAHHH finally a good start

I went to the app store on my iPhone - found it and downloaded. Went to the store on my iPad - not there. When I go to my "purchased apps" on my iPad, it's not there.

Yup....can't find it on my iPad either. Don't do iPhone so can't comment there.

I was able to download it onto my iPad by following the link from their Facebook page. Pedder bay resort has released a link as well. Seems like a great App!

For you I-pad guys, @NDT had success loading it it seems.

And surely Andrioid can't be far behind for release.

Reactions: NDT
Love the fact that this app now exists. As a professional software developer I can appreciate the amount of work it takes to get something like this stood up.

As this is a V1.0, I know there is a long list of features on the todo list that simply couldn't fit into the first version but will at some point. The one I look forward to most is the ability to say, "what are the regs for the precise location I'm at right now?". It would also be nice to have each subarea referenced in each notice to be a hyperlink to a map. Reduces the amount of context switching trying to get a mental picture of the affect areas.

Very excited about this, WDFW should also do the same.

-Barry

Love the fact that this app now exists. As a professional software developer I can appreciate the amount of work it takes to get something like this stood up.

As this is a V1.0, I know there is a long list of features on the todo list that simply couldn't fit into the first version but will at some point. The one I look forward to most is the ability to say, "what are the regs for the precise location I'm at right now?". It would also be nice to have each subarea referenced in each notice to be a hyperlink to a map. Reduces the amount of context switching trying to get a mental picture of the affect areas.

Very excited about this, WDFW should also do the same.

-Barry

being able to pull the regs for my precise location and to electronically record the catch will be great.

The less paper I have to keep track of the better. I probably have to reprint my license 3 or 4 times every season as it gets wet or covered in guts. At least I can clean my phone off :)

Back