SFI Fishing App - just launched

Hard to see this being a negative as long as the app is executed well. Most smartphones have GPS so there'll be little ambiguity as to which management area an angler is in. Regs immediately available, little excuse for not knowing what is legal/illegal. Hopefully the regs for an area can be stored on the device if needed for offline access.

I'm wondering if recording your catch on the app replaces recording your catch on your license. I wouldn't take the chance myself, but I bet lots of people do because it's not clearly stated anywhere I can see.

I have downloaded the app and think it has huge potential. I checked the area 20 regs and cant find the in season changes for the subareas specifically:

Chinook

• The annual limit for chinook caught south of Cadboro Point (including 20-5 to 20-7) is 20. The annual limit in the rest of Area 20 is 30.
  • July 15 to October 25: No retention of chinook in Subareas 20-1 and 20-2 inside or north of a line from Owen Point to the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy then to Woods Nose.
  • August 1 to October 15 there is no retention of chinook in the Sooke Inlet, Sooke Harbour and Sooke Basin, north of a line from Muir Point to Possession Point.
  • Keeping your chinook salmon? You must record (in ink) all retained catch on your Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.
  • Area 19 and 20 - Chinook
    March 1 until June 16, 2017 in Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and 20-4 and 20-5:
    • Daily limit of 2 chinook. These chinook may be either:
      • wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm or
      • hatchery marked greater than 67 cm in length
I have sent the developers an email to this regard about a week ago and haven't heard back. I still dont see it. Is it there and I am missing it?

now when the whale chasing boat yells that i am fishing in the park and i say yes i know that,, i can show them the fishing boundary. lol

Unless I am doing something wrong, this app has some serious bugs that limit it's utility at present.

For example, like mentioned in the above post:

1) the regs. for Area 20 do not list the current slot size we are under, just general Chinook regs for the coast, i.e. there is no mention of FN0155:

FN0155-Recreational - Salmon: Chinook - Area 19 and 20 - Fishery Management Actions Effective 1 March 2017
Effective dates: 00:01 hours Wednesday, March 1 to 23:59 hours Friday, June 16, 2017
Waters: Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subareas 20-4 and 20-5 (those waters near
Victoria between Cadboro Pt to Sombrio Pt.).
Management measures: You may retain two (2) chinook salmon per day. These
chinook may be either:
- wild or hatchery marked between 45 cm and 67 cm; or
- hatchery marked greater than 67 cm in length.
- The minimum size limit in these waters is 45 cm in length.
Variation order 2017-148

So the app is not very useful without accurate and up to date reg. info!

The second bug I found was that some area maps do not display properly - e.g. area 121.

I updated to the latest version and these bugs still exist. Hopefully they will be fixed soon!

Like any new software I'm sure the user base is still quite small. Once the software has been around for a bit I'm sure it will be improved as time goes on. As the user base grows hopefully feedback from users will allow developers to address the programs issues. File a bug report, or send the developer an email about any errors or omissions you find with area regs. Hopefully if everyone cooperates in providing feedback to the developers the program can be continually improved. If you don't get a response from the developer don't let that stop you from filing further reports. I'm sure they read any bug report filed, but they may not have the time to respond to every one personally.

Sounds like a big improvement over the DFO Canada website for easily accessing info.

I am unable to test it out as the Android version is still being developed. Could someone please perform a test that has the software installed. Does the app store the management area on the phone for offline use. If you access the maps & regs for your area then turn off your phones data and WiFi connections is the data still available to be viewed. I'm just wondering if you need a data connection to access the data or if it is stored for offline use. Many times you may not have cell service if fishing off the beaten path, and it would be nice to still be able to access maps regs etc if offline.

I just thought that would be nice to know, if anyone can test it out.

Thanks TBG

Good questions Big Guy!

So I'm on an iPhone 6, I opened the app, selected Area 18 then turned off wifi and put it on "Airplane Mode" to disable the cellular and am amazed at the results.

Area 18 was still available and it could be expanded and contracted, went to Regs and selected another Area and damned if it didn't load! It was also interactive.

Tried a couple of the other features and they seemed to work off line. Then I shut down the app entirely and reopened it and searched for a new Area and it loaded.

This is a great app!! It also notified me [when I was on line] that the regs I had for Area 18 weren't up to date and with a click they updated them to the most current. Wow.

There may be a few bugs but this is going to be a great tool on the water. Thanks for the questions :)

That's awesome thanks for checking that out. That really makes the app far more useful if you don't need online access. It sounds like they've done well.

your license is on the app once you set it up. There is a QR code reader, licence number, etc. However, at this point you still need to have a paper copy (signed) of your licence as well. Given that DFO was involved in the process of this app, hopefully soon this will be a full replacement that is accepted by officers as official.

I know that this has been talked about a little bit so wanted to provide some clarity. Tincan in the above isn't wholly accurate. See the copy and paste below from the DFP PAC website. I would think that this also applies to a PDF copy saved to your device, not just on the SFI app. Since you can record your catch real time and immediately, shall be interesting to see how that plays out in the near future.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/faq-eng.html#13

Q- Can I carry my e-licence on my cell phone or do I need to have a printed copy with me?

A - You can carry your licence in electronic form (for example on a cellphone) as long as it can be immediately displayed and read on a screen. However, if you catch and retain any of the species that you are required to mark on your licence (for example: chinook, lingcod or halibut) you will need a paper copy of your licence in order to record your catch. Failing to immediately record your catch is a violation, as is failing to show your licence to a Fishery Officer when requested.

Back