Setting up prawn traps first time ...

Travo

Okay after reading a lot on this forum and various other sources I'm gunna give this a try ... I have 500 feet of rope with end 50' being lead core .

Bottom of rope tie on a 10lb weight , 20 feet then clip on first trap with a 10lb weight on the bottom tied to the bottom of trap , 50 more feet and my second trap with another 10 lb weight tied to the bottom .... Lead core line at top with bullet float tied on , and then a larger float tied onto that ...

Open to any suggestions to changing this setup please would love to hear your input ...
For bait I'll be using , Carlyle cat food and prawn pellets maybe with a little soak of prawn oil.
I'll be prawning in the prince rupert area so heavy tides , and I have a Brutus line hauler ..

add a/some clip on weight/s if fishing shallow to keep the extra line well below propellers.

Id change that up to 10lbs weight at the botom, then trap, trap...

edit- never mind, just re-read your post and your set up right.

just a tip if you cant find the Carlyle up there the London drugs branded tuna for cats is apparently Carlyle.

here's my set-up
trap----------50'------------trap-------10-15' 10lb weight-----400' leaded line to an a2 or a3 bouy
first 50' between traps is floating to keep it off the bottom and away from snags

Anyone still use their anchor pull system to haul prawn traps? Is this to hard on the traps if they are slightly snagged up on bottom?

Or has everyone gone to high end pullers.....

Anyone still use their anchor pull system to haul prawn traps? Is this to hard on the traps if they are slightly snagged up on bottom?

Or has everyone gone to high end pullers.....
Been pulling mine for years with my anchor puller.

Hey guys! This seems to be the prawn thread so I have a question about them. After preparing prawns for a meal, I get a couple that are very soft and mushy but still taste good just very soft. Doesn't seem to be any exterior indication, that I can see anyway, to explain this... anyone else have an explanation??

I think it's something to do with moulting. I noticed when popping heads they are slightly soft, when cooked they get softer. I try to throw them back, but hard to tell before popping the head. I also noticed they come in waves, maybe mass moulting like crabs?

Back