Servicing Honda Outboard in LML

Ringo

Crew Member
Need to take my outboard for tune up and impeller replacement. Got a quote from the Honda Centre and it's quite expensive for what seems to be a simple service. Anybody knows of a reputable local marine shop on the main land that can service Honda outboards? Thanks.

I used to deal with Capstan marine in Richmond, but I'm not sure if they're still into servicing Hondas. Seems they're more concerned with only selling Hondas on their Gradys, but you could give them a call.

If it was a simple winterizing, I'd think any boat service Centre would do.

Thanks, TBG. I'll give them a call. Besides the basic maintenance, I'll need to replace the impeller and thermostat this year as well. May have to tune up the valves too. Thx.

Unless your motor is running poorly, I would be careful about letting a dealer run wild with repairs.
It can get very expensive.
I would change plugs and thermostat(s) and run a can of seafoam through your next tank of gas.
I ran a Honda for many years and never had the valves adjusted.

Moonlight Marine at Shelter Island. Alex is the best Honda Outboard guy in the lower mainland (604) 916-5740.

Thanks, Guys. The engine runs like a Swiss watch when it's warm. Haven't inspected the thermostat and the impeller for 2-3 years and feel like the motor runs a bit too rough when it's still cold so not sure if the thermostst is doing its thing the way it's supposed to be. I checked the shop manual and it says the thermostat and the impeller should be checked if engine doesn't warm up after a few minutes of normal use. I think I'm going to change the oil and leg lube, replace the plugs and thermostat on the weekend and see if that takes care of the issue. If not, I'll give Alex a call and see what he recommends. Thanks again.

Haven't inspected the thermostat and the impeller for 2-3 years and feel like the motor runs a bit too rough when it's still cold

My Honda was exactly the same, on startup it would run rough for 2-3 mins
once warmed up it ran like a clock all day.

Buy one of the cheap infra red temp sensor guns from Canadian Tire. Point it at the thermostat housings or water jacket part of the heads and it will tell you what temp is it at accurately through out the warm up process.

Thanks for all the tips guys. The thermostat looked a bit corroded so I managed to replace the thermostat and the spark plugs (~100 hrs on them) and took the boat out for a short cruise yesterday. I noticed that the engine warmed up faster even though it was a chilly early morning yesterday (4C when I arrived at the launch).
There is no hour meter on this motor and I don't have the service records from the previous owner but for the past 3-4 seasons that I've been using this unit (mainly in salt water) I've never had any issues with the cooling system in general and I flush out the engine religiously after each use. What are the signs of a bad impeller other than a wimpy tell-tale? Not sure when the water pump was replaced/serviced on this unit but would like to know when i should be doing that before it breaks on me one day :)

you would know pretty quick if it was bad as your overheat alarm would sound.
i did mine once in 10 years, ( not saying that's right or wrong.)
some guys like to change it every 2 years.
as long as the bolts aren't corroded it's not that complicated.

I would change your impeller just to put your mind at ease , was always thinking about that part when it was gonna go , not knowing how old it was .
changed mine last year on my Honda like Scott said not complicated , ended up buying the whole impeller housing kit, instead of just the gaskets and impeller.
i made sure i had a torque wrench before i decided to do it, heard lots of horror stories bolts over tightened and stripping or cracking the aluminum .

Back