Servicing a Scotty downrigger

Anyone on here have any tips for servicing a Scotty down rigger? I have one that is "running slowly". the motor casing has a lot of rust on it...I am thinking there is probably some inside as well, so trying to get the motor out. Thought I had it licked but....alas....no.

There are two nuts on the bottom of the motor casing and a cotter pin on the top holding a top plastic cover on to the flywheel. The cotter pin also looks like it was holding a metal top piece of the motor into the middle/inside of the flywheel. Have the cotter pin off as well, but the motor won't slide out....seems to be attached/caught on the plastic flywheel itself.

Has anyone taken theirs out to replace it that can provide any tips? Nothing on youtube....my standby for when I don't know what I am doing...so looking for some "experience" .....

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

did you check your voltage going into the motor? Sounds more likely that there is a voltage drop somewhere. Could be the motor, but I would make the "free" tests first.

As long as you are the original owner, Scotty will service for free
they will also replace the motor, if that is in deed the problem.
they did that for one of mine.

prob a corroded relay
check there first motors are usually good

I haven't checked the voltage but will do that. Have done the other easy stuff, corrosion on relays, etc. They are, surprisingly, pretty good. I am not the original owner so expect if there is a motor problem to pay for that....if only I could figure out how to actually slide the motor out.....thanks for the suggestions so far.

Hi, have done many in the past, all single belt ones though. Here it goes:

Unplug rigger
Take cotter pin out, gently price small gear off, should have a small plastic washer under the gear
Remove the two rubber caps on either side of shaft where the gear was.
Remove the silicone sealant that you find under the caps
Remove the two 3/8 (I think) nuts.
Motor is now free from the top
Remove wires from the bottom
Should be free to remove

If you have a fair amount of rust on the motor, it is probably the cause. We had issues with the old power cords, which had carboard for insulation. The new cords are encased complety in rubber, so no wicking can occur. I would check the plug first though, especially on the boat side of things, just swap sides with the other downriver and see if there is any change, if there is a change, start there. Good luck

Regards

Fishyboy.

Back