Serious Saftey Warning - Never burn synthetic rubber

Rockfish

I was reading through the Safety First section of a Haynes after market repair manual for one of my vehicles and came across something I did not know and which is relevant for all those who rebuild and maintain boats.

Here is the sub-section:

“Hyrdrofluoric Acid

This extremely corrosive acid is formed when certain types of synthetic rubber found in some O-rings, oil seals, fuel hoses, etc. are exposed to temperatures above 750 degrees F (about 400 C). The rubber changes into a chared or sticky substance containing the acid. Once formed, the acid remains dangerous for years. If it gets on the skin, it may be necessary to amputate the limb concerned.
When dealing with a vehicle which has suffered a fire, or with components salvaged from such a vehicle, wear protective gloves and discard them after use”.

It is not difficult to imagine that if you were rebuilding a rotted out boat on a rural property that you could end up using a fire drum or bonfire to burn the old rotted wood etc. and also perhaps throw the old tank padding, fuel/filler hose etc. on the fire. As this stuff is designed to have a degree of fire resistance, the goo/char/acid could survive even a hot fire. You would not want to be cleaning up the fire pit unprotected or have your dog get their nose into it.

I was reading that this acid can dissolve many metals, some plastics and even glass and ceramics but that natural and synthetic rubber is resistant to it and that it is stored commercially in containers made out of a specific type of plastic.

Last edited:
Also found this and it sounds like you would not want to burn and breath it either.

Hydrogen fluoride gas is an acute poison that may immediately and permanently damage lungs and the corneas of the eyes. Aqueous hydrofluoric acid is a contact-poison with the potential for deep, initially painless burns and ensuing tissue death. By interfering with body calcium metabolism, the concentrated acid may also cause systemic toxicity and eventual cardiac arrest and fatality, after contact with as little as 160 cm2 (25 square inches) of skin.

Back