Sentry Shoal Bouy Repair Target Date

S

SIR

Just got an email back from the EnvCan folks and they indicated that the Automated Sentry Shoal Bouy won't be back online until "sometime in July".

Rather a pain in the butt as this is the main indicator bouy for sea state values used by all the small boats crossing the Strait. Did a trip out to Mitlenatch today and it was a wee bit ruff out there but no way to know that in advance without the bouy [V]

I use it alot too. And yes it looked rough out there yesterday.

Ian that boat of yours should be a breeze, to fish out of ,in a four foot moderate.

It was actually a sightseeing tour to the Raggeds, Mitlenatch and Desolation which usually takes 4 hours. Yesterday to keep the trip comfortable for the clients it took 6 hours.... Not a safety issue, it's a comfort issue. The 5-15 knot morning forecast was revised to 20-30 while we were half way round the circuit. With six guests on board and a quartering wind I have to go reasonably slow to avoid soaking the guests on the rear seats... Tips seem to be better if I bring them home warm and dry :D

The sea lions have not left Mitlenatch yet, the seals should pup soon, and the cormorants & gulls are still making whoopie by the thousands. Very noisy place this time of year. Good news is that the eagles have rebuilt the nest on the north end that got blown down last year. Hopefully we get to see them fledge this year.

Do miss that bouy though. As long as it's a meter or less before we start out we can usually get a tour round the island before it swells up regardless of how quick the wind builds. Without the bouy you have to use a fair bit of gas to go and check it out before making a safety call....

Emails to env can might have helped as they pulled ahead the repair schedule and the bouy is back on line :) :) :)

SIR

We often try to make a straight shot from Schooner Cove to Lund (rather than behind Texada) on our way to the Broughtons. This leaves us exposed for a great deal of time and it would be useful to have a predictor beyond Ballenas and Sisters. We have an old Reinell cruiser and travel @ 7-8 knots. Do you have any tips on using this buoy to predict conditions?

Thanks Glenn

Back