Selling Seasport Skipper w/Alaskan Bulkhead - can't find comparable for price check

JanetB

My mechanic has advised me to sell my 19' Seasport Skipper because it's just not being used enough and it's far more boat than I need for my grocery runs. I'm in the Gulf Islands and purchased it several years ago from the US. I've been using it for short commutes, usually every 3 weeks - but now with COVID, I've only been going to town about once every 6 weeks, and my boat really doesn't like that. It needs to be used regularly, and I haven't given it that - it needs a fisherman!

It's a 1991, approx. 400 hours, 300 hp Volvo Duo-prop gas sterndrive, dual batteries, dual automatic bilge pumps, Garmin fishfinder/chart plotter, heater, defrost, etc. Nothing fancy, but I absolutely hate to part with it, because it can turn on a dime, and handles rough water like a dream - I've never felt unsafe in it, and although my trips have been short, I've been out in all kinds of weather with it. Being able to lock the door when the boat isn't in use has been awesome. The potty's never been used, and I've never taken it out overnight, so the cuddy has only been used for storage and hauling groceries. It's been maintained at least annually and I've just put her back in the water after a tune-up and replacing the risers. I replaced the gas tank when i bought the boat. I've just replaced bearings and rollers on the trailer, too.

Anyway - i want to sell, but I can find no comparables in BC/western Canada for setting a price. I've lurked here for years, so I know that a lot of you know your boats, and how difficult it can be to find something like this on the west coast of BC. What do you think it's worth? How much should I be asking? I would sure appreciate any advice you can give me.

also - my next adventure will be looking for something similar-ish, 17-19' with an outboard, to replace it - Arima? Trophy?

Attachments

• dirty ethel 2.jpg
    dirty ethel 2.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 135
keep your boat. its silly to buy a completely new boat with new headaches to replace an existing one of the same length. if youre upgrading, sure. but same boat length ? not worth it.
anyway if you do want to price it i would do $20K and call it good if it sold for $15K.

I think 20K is too low, but it depends on the condition

Here for comparison

it comes down to maintenance. i'm not using the boat enough, so it needs to be maintained far more frequently, and that means me paying someone to pull it each time. it shouldn't be sitting in the water for weeks at a time without moving, but that is exactly what is happening. if i had a lighter boat, i could pull it myself, clean and/or paint it, and drop it back in the water. with an outboard, i can lift the motor out of the water and keep it clean. when i bought the boat, i thought i'd actually do some fishing and sightseeing, overnights, etc. (new to the coast at that time, and so freaking excited!!!) - but that hasn't happened, so i've got myself a motorhome when all i really needed was a tent.

in all honesty, a little tinnie would probably serve my purposes just fine, but that cabin has spoiled me (canvas would work, though), and the length and hull design have made me feel safe. and i don't need a small block to take me to the grocery store. a smaller motor would be fine.

Last edited:
it comes down to maintenance. i'm not using the boat enough, so it needs to be maintained far more frequently, and that means me paying someone to pull it each time. it shouldn't be sitting in the water for weeks at a time without moving, but that is exactly what is happening. if i had a lighter boat, i could pull it myself, clean and/or paint it, and drop it back in the water. with an outboard, i can lift the motor out of the water and keep it clean. when i bought the boat, i thought i'd actually do some fishing and sightseeing, overnights, etc. (new to the coast at that time, and so freaking excited!!!) - but that hasn't happened, so i've got myself a motorhome when all i really needed was a tent.

in all honesty, a little tinnie would probably serve my purposes just fine, but that cabin has spoiled me (canvas would work, though), and the length and hull design have made me feel safe. and i don't need a small block to take me to the grocery store. a smaller motor would be fine.
I have the same boat, it's a 1992. I would be shocked if the boat is a 300HP. I'm guessing it is more like a 190HP, 4.3L V6 motor with the duoprop. This is what mine is. I'd say your boat is likely worth CAD25K give or take.
Why can't you keep it on your trailer and launch when you need to use it.

First off that’s a sweet little boat

I’m going to chime in here and say like others, I would be keeping that boat. You know what you have why go down the road of uncertainty with another purchase. It’s not that big of a boat why not pull it every time you are done using it and keep it at home. Couple days before you need it plug in the battery tender to top up your batteries, check the oil, wiper it down, put in plugs. As well with it not being in the water no need to wash the bottom all the time and de gunk the hull bottom. Way easier to maintain a boat that’s not sitting in the water full time. Have a storage shelter for it to keep the rain off and pull the plugs to keep it dry.

Maybe you’ve went through all this already but just my thoughts on it.

I see your point and the conundrum you are in but I can’t seem to think of a boat that would be a suitable replacement.

maybe a 17footer with a 90hp or something but not sure that you would like that.

You're going to end up with half the boat for the same price. Why give the tax man more. Get yourself a brush and wetsuit.

that size of boat is a breeze to launch and retrieve to a trailer, i would spend some time just getting used to it.
like RC says you will get half the boat for the same money

I have the same boat, it's a 1992. I would be shocked if the boat is a 300HP. I'm guessing it is more like a 190HP, 4.3L V6 motor with the duoprop. This is what mine is. I'd say your boat is likely worth CAD25K give or take.
Why can't you keep it on your trailer and launch when you need to use it.
it's not. the previous owner replaced the standard engine with a V8. i'm alone, have little experience pulling boats, and only have an SUV. this boat weighs twice what my previous boat (stolen) was. i would never chance trying to pull it alone, let alone pulling it with my vehicle. not to mention, that would just add another half hour of time to an already hectic, short day of trying to get to town for supplies. :)

that size of boat is a breeze to launch and retrieve to a trailer, i would spend some time just getting used to it.
like RC says you will get half the boat for the same money
so i could buy a truck and have it barged over, or i could just buy a boat that's more suitable to my needs without an additional expenditure. that's exactly it - i am looking for half the boat! as long as it doesn't cost me more than what i'm selling the skipper for, i'm ok with it. it's my means of transportation - it's not a pleasure craft.

which brings me back to my initial question - is my boat worth $15k or $25k? that's a big hole, and those were the numbers i had narrowed it down to before posting. :)

Ask 30 then. This isn't the place to come to get straight answers lol

I see your point and the conundrum you are in but I can’t seem to think of a boat that would be a suitable replacement.

maybe a 17footer with a 90hp or something but not sure that you would like that.

trophy and arima both have decent sized boats that i'd be interested in. i've seen a few others, too. i don't "need" the alaskan bulkhead, but i like the convenience and would like to be under cover when i'm out in the rain, which is quite often over the winter months.

1610597715657.png

I would think 25-30 for the Skipper and you should be able to find a Trophy well within that to replace it with. Good luck and let us know how the sale and replacement goes

Back