Second Garmin GPSMap Screen

Blue

I'm thinking of adding a second Garmin screen in the back of the boat. Is there an easy way to tap into the GPS and transducer wires? The unit in the cabin of the boat is a GPSMap 545 and is 12ft away from where I want to put the second unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the guys running multiple displays have a network running on their boat where there instruments - sonar, radar, gps, are being fed into a network system that the displays are just tapping into.
your 545 is not network capaeable, so you would need a new network system installed onto the boat, or a full second stand alone system added for a second display.

I'm thinking of adding a second Garmin screen in the back of the boat. Is there an easy way to tap into the GPS and transducer wires? The unit in the cabin of the boat is a GPSMap 545 and is 12ft away from where I want to put the second unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

what are you after to display on your second unit if its only depth read out you may get info from nema output of your main unit and just use a repeater unit

if your going to install a second unit make sure the transducer Htz is not the same as they will conflict with each other

i run a second unit ones on 120 si-tex profish transom the main gps/chart is a humminbird 97 matrix runs 80-200

also just used a repeater off the main to give me depth readout at the rear

good luck which ever way you go

Are you talking wanting to run two displays off one transducer? If so, that can be done by installing a Garmin GSD 22 (with compatable transducer) through Garmin CANet connection. Not sure one would really want to spend the money to do that? Plus, I have actually found it better (and cheaper) to have two completely seperate units?

As for the 545s (which I do own), if you check page 49 of the owners manual you will find it has two NMEA 0183 in/out for additional units, plus it is also CANet compatible. So, it will pass information back and forth to addtional units both through NMEA and CANet. I wouldn't do it, but with enough money - one can network their heart out!

FYI... CANet is only a Garmin protocol connection type, which allows faster transfer rate of information than the older serial wiring connection to multible units. Same-same as Raymarine's SeaTalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great info everyone. Lots to think about. I now plan on doing a little research into the NMEA in/out to see what the restrictions are with the second unit....i.e is the second unit only a display or can you pan/zoom/etc? Also, does the second unit need to be the same as the front unit because of the screen size? Does the second unit need charts? This may also be ruled out. The backup will be a standalone finder in the back. I will post what I find. Thanks again for the info.

NMEA will only give depth and temperature readings on the second unit. It will not give you a display. You need CANet, and all the other goodies (totaling about $500 - $600.00 US) to get the display on the second unit. Page 50 of 545's owners manual!

FYI... you can buy another complete unit (including a 545s) with transducer for about the same amount of money. One transducer or unit goes out... the other will still works, which I just had happen! :)

Back