SeaStar Steering Ram and Volvo Penta design flaw

e-zee

Last fall I lost my steering and had to kicker home.
The issue is with SeaStar hydraulic steering and the Volvo Penta Inboard power steering actuator cylinder. The SeaStar puts an undue force on the hollow shaft and causes it to break. You cannot rebuild the power steering cylinder so... break out another thousand.
The fix is a free tube support kit from SeaStar. You simply insert a tapered sleeve and torque the 1/4" capscrew. You also need to remove a spacer and pin the hydraulic ram in the lower hole to reduce the torque on the Volvo steering cylinder.
Kit # 785255. 1-866-779-6899.
I posted a pic of the installation instructions (can't seem to figure out how to rotate the pic) If anyone wants more info I'm happy to give it.

Attachments

• IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 66
Just want to give a shout out to Dean at SeaStar Solutions. I called to see about getting a replacement bracket and after emailing a couple of pictures he determined it wasn't available because Seastar has redesigned the whole steering cylinder. He sent me a complete new set-up free of charge and it arrived overnight. Local companies like SeaStar Solutions and Scotty are awesome!!!

Back