Seastar Steering mechanic, Lower Mainland

eriks

Can anyone recommend a shop in the Lower Mainland that is really good with seastar steering systems?
Thx,

Aren't they made in richmond
Yes, but only the corporate HQ. I believe They have approved service centers all over NA, but the local one I spoke to seemed clueless. Didn't instill any confidence in sending my boat there.

Can't the people you take your Yamaha to work on it? The dealers rig them all the time.

Tons of info and trouble shooting tips online. Many issues just have to do with air in the system.just rebuilt my helm with a kit from bridgeview marine was pretty straight

Try Trevor at maple marine in Langley

Tons of info and trouble shooting tips online. Many issues just have to do with air in the system.just rebuilt my helm with a kit from bridgeview marine was pretty straight

Yeah, agreed, so much info online. Some systems are very easy to bleed, others not so.
Almost everyone says use a power bleeder when things get difficult. I'm done wasting hours and hours trying to bleed, no more air is coming out of the helm pump, but still movement at the ram. All indications are air in the system, however, with a two station system (AP and helm pump), other factors like check valves in the AP or helm (easier to confirm than with the AP valves) could not be functioning properly, allowing fluid back into the respective pumps. It could also have something to do with the shuttle valve in the helm, because the wheel will keep turning very slowly when it's hard over.
I've read almost every online article available on bleeding hydraulics, and most likely it is air, however, at this point I reallly just want to get back on the water. If it's not air in the system, I need someone who knows their stuff and can identify the problem once and for all and get it sorted.

Milltown Marine located at the marina has a decent group of mechanics. They did some work on my system last year.

Can't the people you take your Yamaha to work on it? The dealers rig them all the time.

Everything I've read says bleed the lower station first. The guy that works on my yammie has the power bleeder and used it, still movement at the ram. He said it's acceptable movement (about a 1/2"). He said that with a power bleeder, you didn't need to bleed the lower unit first. I just don't buy that, based on everything I've read, but I'm not a pro. If there is no air in the system and u still have movement at the ram, you have a problem.
I want zero movement at the ram, the way it should be.

Back