Seastar hydraulic hose length

79 Jimmy

I'm looking to upgrade the steering on my 17' Double Eagle to a Seastar system. Just wondering if anyone knows or has any experience with this conversion, in particular the hose length needed. 1986 17' DE and a Johnson 150 same vintage. Thanks
J

Hey Jimmy, I just purchased some hoses from Trotac for my Seastar system and I would reccomend just routing a piece of rope thru where you would like the new hoses to be routed. Then remove and measure with a tape the Steering cylinder will require some slack as it moves back and forth and the lines themselves come in 2 foot increments if I recall correctly. My 20 foot DE used a 22 foot hose.

Dan

Just did my 21st Striper , 16ft length hoses was more than enough so can't see yours being more. Mssg **** Happens on this site , Seth will know and give ya a great deal on the hoses or what ever else u need with Seastar .
Just a note, first and foremost make sure u can remove and have enough room to put the new support rod in or you'll have to remove and raise you engine to get it in or do some fiberglass cutting like I found out I had and did, not fun, but got it done. If u want I posted some of my experiences on a post called "seastar" and also "what you do to your boat this week end" . Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I've already raised the engine one hole so the rod shouldn't be to big of an issue. I have an "in" for Seastar stuff so I thought I'd take advantage as the steering on the boat is probably original and tends to seize up if left for any length of time. I was thinking about 18' bulkhead hoses..... Figured if they were a little long I could hide it up front or route them the long way around, too short and I'm screwed.
Thanks again, hopefully someone can chime in that has actually done it on this boat as I'm sure its been done before.
J

Back