seasick

Hi guys! Seems I have a tendency to get varying degrees of seasickness when out on the west coast rollers. I have tried the ear patch, it works very well, but certainly has a few side effects. Anyone have any hints, cross counter drugs, etc; that may help my little problem???

Thanks

PB

I have a buddy who gets seasick on the WCVI....he's okay on inside waters but the swells ruin him. We have had some beautifully calm days out there but that slight swell destroys him. I have been on it for years now trying to find something that will work as we were getting tired of having to run him in. Thru lots of R&D ;) I finally have something that works.

Before bed I ensure he takes gravol, just the regular kind as it'll make you drowsy but the key is to get it into your system. In the morning he takes Bonine...the chemical ingredient is meclizine which is non-drowsy and really have seen no side effects for him. In saying that...everyone's physiology is different. Sadly I believe meclizine is no longer available in Canada, it was branded Bonine here and Bonamine in the U.S. I actually stock up on generic meclizine when in the U.S. as it is dirt cheap! So...there is some other chemical similar which is available in Canada that I got thru a pharmacy in Tofino last year; specifically told her the chemical I was looking for and she sold me a generic version of the newer stuff. Go talk to your pharmacist and ensure you let them know you want non-drowsy stuff. You likely won't find stuff packaged in an aisle in the pharmacy so ask what they have; some compounding pharmacies also make their own concoctions which can be great.

But in a nutshell....gravol the night before and meclizine or the new stuff in Canada in the morning an hour before you're gonna head out.

He tried the patch a few years ago and although he didn't get seasick he felt disgusting; said his mouth felt like it was full of cotton balls and all in all felt "off". Have tried ALL SORTS of remedies on him from prescription to over the counter products and herbal remedies; the above is the sure fire fix for him.

I would stay away from Dramamine as most people I know who have tried it feel like they have been roofied and struggle to stay awake. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Scott and OP,

If you take Gravol the night before, and then Gravol again in the morning you should not be drowsy. It tends to be the first one that causes the drowsiness. Give it a shot you might be surprised.

Brian.

what i found to the most effective for myself and crew is "Meclizine " , ask your pharmacy for anything that contains at least 25 mg of "Meclizine" start taking the tablet right away , a couple of days before your trip is great . it is far more readily available in the U.S.A . than in Canada . [ go figure !] Wallgren or Walmart over the counter . But ask @ a well stocked drug store here @ home and you should be O.K. I highly recommend it , far better than the patch or the band or gravol . You may find that near the end of your trip you won't even need to take it . i am holding a small bottle right now , brand name "Rugby" for travel sickness Works for me ! Pass this hint along . i

Bonine the night before, another an hour before boarding the boat. It has really worked well for me. If I have too many cocktails after the boat is cleaned up, I struggle to stay awake in the afternoon. I also have had bouts of wicked muscle cramps, so I try to drink more water than usual now. Any American Walmart should have it.

Hi Scott and OP,

If you take Gravol the night before, and then Gravol again in the morning you should not be drowsy. It tends to be the first one that causes the drowsiness. Give it a shot you might be surprised.

Brian.

Hey buddy....good to know. I was always nervous to hit him with gravol in the morning as it's tough to navigate a jackass passed out on the floor when the bite is on. ;) BTW....the puker is Milner. :rolleyes:

Eat lots of ginger, ginger pills, cook with lots of ginger a few days before you go out and have ginger gravol before you go onto the boat, it doesn't cure the problem but it will help a bunch. I don't get seasick but my wife and her family all do.

Everyone is different, but the scopolamine patch works well for me on the WCVI swells, I don't need anything on the inside chop. I notice it makes beer taste odd, sort of metallic, but that's OK as when I'm out there on the annual charter I'm focused a lot more on fishing than beer drinking.

My son and guests have been using this for the last couple of years.

http://motioneaze.com/

No pills. No side effects. Apply as needed.

A couple of other things that are really important for offshore fishing.

Good night sleep.
Stay hydrated.
Don't eat a greasy breakfast.
Salt and vinegar chips (optional).

After 30 years in the Navy on all classes of ships I am very experienced with seasickness, both feeling and seeing. Sleep, staying hydrated, and soda crackers ease the pain and sometimes stop or delay the onset. There are NO remedies that have ever worked or I saw work. Suck it up was the old remedy, now we are gentler, go to your rack, only thing that works 100% of the time for me now is the patch. Scoplimine? You can cut into 1/2 and put on night before, seems there is enough "medicine" to stop the sickness and reduces the cotton mouth. Also try different spots behind the ear, some places work better than others. After 10 days of patch and funny eye your body normally adjusts. Good luck.

HM

Gravol with a couple ginger extract gell caps before bed and the morning of. Good to go.

Bonamine/Dramamine is what works best for me. 1 before bed and 1 when getting up. Most compound pharmacy's can whip up a batch on request.

My wife uses a band around her wrist that has a small snap button that puts pressure to a pressure point. Worked for her on cruise ships and outings with our fishing boat. She bought them at a drugstore. Sorry forget the name.

If someone is prone to motion sickness or starting to feel it. Give them a job like being on the Helm and point out a far away point of land that works with your planned fishing Tac and tell them to head for it. You want their eye to see less motion and looking at the horizon or close to it helps somewhat. You do not want them using their eyes concentrating on anything close up like watching the Chart Plotter, Rod Tips or Tying Leader etc. for the same reason that reading in a moving car or looking at a street map gives some people motion sickness.

Keep them off the close range visual jobs and views and get the drugs into them early because once they are sick it is pretty much too late. Ginger or Ginger extract does help some people settle their stomach down.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife uses a band around her wrist that has a small snap button that puts pressure to a pressure point. Worked for her on cruise ships and outings with our fishing boat. She bought them at a drugstore. Sorry forget the name.

It's called Sea Band

http://www.sea-band.com/ca/

Haven't seen it in years, but my old sailing instructor used to wear it. I've never tried it myself.

Eat lots of ginger, ginger pills, cook with lots of ginger a few days before you go out and have ginger gravol before you go onto the boat, it doesn't cure the problem but it will help a bunch. I don't get seasick but my wife and her family all do.
ginger gravel works great and no side effects. Don't get the chewable ones though.

Keep your eyes on
The distant horizon
Look out for passers by.

Back