Sealant and sealing method advice

k_im

After a very long, frustrating, very expensive time on the hard I'm finally ready to re-install the deck and engine cover on my boat. What do you guys use to seal joints that will probably have to be re opened sometime in the future. Also, whoever sealed up the seams last time used some sort of cordage in the root of some of the seams, and what appears to be foam tape in others. If this is standard practice, what do I use?

Thanks so much

I just recently opened up my cockpit floor/deck panel over my main fuel tank on my Grady 228G. It had silicone sealant that I just cut with a blade and then removed screws and it lifted right out easily. All old silicone cleaned up fairly easy for the reseal later.
Putting the panel back over the fuel tank then I used 3M Marine Grade mildew Resistant Silicone. I also put some sealant in with the screws to try and keep floor water tight as possible. Looks great after a line and the wet finger treatment ....and I know it will be easy to remove next time and keep water out. Marine grade silicone was much more expensive than household waterproof silicone but I was told it wears much better in marine environment.

DONT USE 3M 5200 - unless you never want to remove it again !

Use 3m 4200 is nice to work with and can be removed later.
If you tape the areas with masking tape you get nice clean lines

Old trick.
If you lay a piece of cord in the bottom of the seam next time you need to remove the panel/soft patch you only need to dig out the end of the string and as you pull it 90 degrees from the panel it will cut the sealant around the panel so you don't have to dig and cut all along the seam which reduces damage to paint and gelcoat. Then lift the panel and clean off the remaining sealant.

Back