Seal predation on salmon fry

Historically harvesting seals was a big part of Native culture. After that the salmon troller fleet use to shoot a heck of a lot of them. Now nobody does.

I have personally witnessed harbour seals chasing down steelhead 20km from tidewater on small westcoast streams. In one of Haig Brown's books he mentions similar on the Nimpkish system.

Tincan-- it was done in the Campbell River estuary-- all it needs is willpower and money. Unfortunately , neither is in abundance these days

I hear ya CL. The willpower and money from the Feds is clearly lacking these days. Fortunately, BC hosts an army of more than 10,000 volunteers that work on behalf of wild salmon. Many of these volunteers will be able to participate in some of the research and restoration work that is already proposed to take place in the next 3-4 years in the Strait of Georgia. The money side of things is a work in progress but PSF is on track to raise the $10 million it needs to commit to this program. Long Live in the Kings in Seattle will be looking to raise an additional $10 million. A lot of work can be done for $20 million, especially with such a large volunteer labour component both on the BC and WA side. The key will be to have a gov't willing/able to use this research and continue the much needed work into the future as this research will undoubtedly lead to much more restoration work and further research than can be supported by a couple of NGO groups. That will be the challenge.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...oject-to-focus-on-salish-sea/article14921492/
http://www.psf.ca/programs/salish-sea-marine-survival-project

Very on the spot comments re Cowichan Estuary...just so you know, we have been doing eel grass transplanting there for several years, with some more on the agenda......we are also actively pursuing funding to create at least one breach through the causeway to start allowing smolts access to the south side of the estuary where the eel grass is in much better shape, and also to allow some more flow to reach that area. We are ready with a bridge to still allow access to the causeway sites...also want to increase flow just before it through an already in place large culvert...all we need are a couple of grants to come through.

Very on the spot comments re Cowichan Estuary...just so you know, we have been doing eel grass transplanting there for several years, with some more on the agenda......we are also actively pursuing funding to create at least one breach through the causeway to start allowing smolts access to the south side of the estuary where the eel grass is in much better shape, and also to allow some more flow to reach that area. We are ready with a bridge to still allow access to the causeway sites...also want to increase flow just before it through an already in place large culvert...all we need are a couple of grants to come through.

Love be to hear about projects like this. Good on you and many thanks!

I was able to connect with John Woodward who was former Chair of PSF. He has been able to secure funding through the PSF to conduct a 4 year study on seal predation. They will be sampling seal scat to determine to what degree seals are consuming salmon fry or smolts as a portion of their regular diet. Theory being one of the main culprits in lower ocean survival and declining fish stocks is seal predation. He mentioned that the PSF could line up their Grad Students doing the work and Brian Ridell CEO to conduct an info workshop if there was in fact enough interest. This type of research is critical if we are going to be able to make a solid business case to DFO in support of seal control programs.

I was able to connect with John Woodward who was former Chair of PSF. He has been able to secure funding through the PSF to conduct a 4 year study on seal predation. They will be sampling seal scat to determine to what degree seals are consuming salmon fry or smolts as a portion of their regular diet. Theory being one of the main culprits in lower ocean survival and declining fish stocks is seal predation. He mentioned that the PSF could line up their Grad Students doing the work and Brian Ridell CEO to conduct an info workshop if there was in fact enough interest. This type of research is critical if we are going to be able to make a solid business case to DFO in support of seal control programs.

Why don't they sit on the bridge at fifth street and take pictures of them gorging there faces at night instead of chasing them around with a pooper scooper for 4 yrs?

That is too obvious. Actually DFO would say that only determines there is a localized to that river problem. PSF is trying to determine through scientific analysis if this is more widespread. I think this is critical to make as a link or the issue goes no further than a few isolated control programs be they officially sanctioned or otherwise.

This is is why we need to find ways to raise $$ for organizations like the PSF so we can get to the bottom of the ocean survival black hole.

Would any any be interested in attending a workshop on this?

Excellent. Hopefully some more interest out there too? If there seems to be more widespread interest I will let John know and see what can be organized.

I Know of at least a half dozen folks that would come with me. If you put it together, I will organize a group from here.

Interesting I was just reading a conference on pacific salmon policy options. Dr. Carl Walters was asked in a panel discussion how do we deal with the marine mammal biomass issue ? Response.... If the current experiment fails then the seals will eat them all. The current Harbour seal population could eat all the coho smolts that could be pumped into the Straight in 12 days. Then he goes on to say this (and pay attention to why we need the research to back us up) ......why are there so many seals? Response... "No killer whales, and seal protection programs. Think of the political fervor if we proposed a seal cull?" There's the core issue! Everyone knows the problem, but no one has the back bone to do the right thing.

I Know of at least a half dozen folks that would come with me. If you put it together, I will organize a group from here.
Awesome. Let's see if we can muster up some interest. I think this is one of the fisheries conservation issues of our lifetimes.

Still working behind the scenes to see if organizing one or two workshops is viable. Any suggestions on best choice of locations? Mid island, South Island or both?

Back