Seal predation on salmon fry

searun

I was at Clutesi Haven Marina in Port Alberni the other day and noticed a seal chasing salmon fry in the river. I was standing on the high bank and clearly could see the pursuit and active feeding on fry. I know this is a major problem on the Puntlege River, but had not seen this seal predation problem first hand elsewhere. Really getting concerning, especially when so called ocean survival is thought to be the main culprit for salmon declines. Now I'm left wondering if the problem isn't as close as our rivers and estuaries and these little beasts.

Cant our native friends take care of some of these seals?

I've watched them at the bridge at night in the light gorging on fry. It makes ya sick. Correct me if I'm wrong GLG, u probably know more on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Clutesi Haven Marina in Port Alberni the other day and noticed a seal chasing salmon fry in the river. I was standing on the high bank and clearly could see the pursuit and active feeding on fry. I know this is a major problem on the Puntlege River, but had not seen this seal predation problem first hand elsewhere. Really getting concerning, especially when so called ocean survival is thought to be the main culprit for salmon declines. Now I'm left wondering if the problem isn't as close as our rivers and estuaries and these little beasts.

They are decimating the Stamp steelhead (fry) at night under the lights from the FN building at the bridge which I believe are on all night.
The river is having its second dismal steelhead year in a row.
In Courtenay the bridge lights shine right through the grating.
Maybe give the little buggers a dark pipeline below with barbed wire, ok grating at each end. Give them a chance.

Why not jail style bars at the mouth of the river that seals can't get thru but salmon can.

Then kill the buggers......LOL

I've watched them at the bridge at night in the light gorging on fry. It makes ya sick. Correct me if I'm wrong GLG, u probably know more on this topic.

Thanks Duff... Yup they are a problem.... They tried the electric fence but that was a fail.

Some University students are doing a study on seal scat this year and next to try to get more info on the problem. I volunteered to bring them out on the water and help track some of that scat down LOL. They want to also collar one or two with GPS. Don't know what will turn out from the studies but one can only hope we find a solution. There was also a plan to capture some of the bad ones and fly them out to the west coast. Don't think it happened as the cost would have been high....

My idea.... Make sure all special guest that visit the valley bring home a First Nations drum as the official gift from the Comox Valley. Then invite a whack of guests to visit. LOL

Was there not a price years ago for a seals nose? You had to shoot then and rush over to cut there nose off before they sunk. You'd get payed for the noses. Let's do it again.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it's natural selection, just like the wolfs and cougars eating the deer and elk. The strong will survive I guess. Those salmon have a tough life everywhere they go something wants to eat, catch or kill them all to make it back and swim up river for days. Then swim up rivers past nets and dams to lay there eggs and die... They don't get to many days off and we make nothing easy for them. Tough fish!!!

As part of PSF's new $10million program to return chinook and coho to the straight of georgia there is a research project that will put Passive Integrated Transponder (PIT) tag detectors on Harbour seals to detect fry that have been PIT tagged. This info will up-load data daily via satellite and will provide insight into how many fry are being pegged off by seals at estuaries. (pic attached)

http://www.psf.ca/programs/salish-sea-marine-survival-project

Attachments

• SealTransmitter.jpg
    SealTransmitter.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 229
You're probably right ;)

However, if the results of this study show that seals are in fact chomping down on MAJOR numbers of fry as they enter salt water perhaps that would lead to new regs on how to best deal with the issue. A large contributing factor to the massive loss of fry during their first several weeks at sea is the lack of rearing habitat (eel grass beds, etc.) so perhaps a combination of restoring this habitat and limiting seal predation would have a serious positive impact on these young fish. I'm sure new regs could be implemented quickly as we all know how keen gov't is to reply to scientific research findings right ;)

You're probably right ;)

However, if the results of this study show that seals are in fact chomping down on MAJOR numbers of fry as they enter salt water perhaps that would lead to new regs on how to best deal with the issue. A large contributing factor to the massive loss of fry during their first several weeks at sea is the lack of rearing habitat (eel grass beds, etc.) so perhaps a combination of restoring this habitat and limiting seal predation would have a serious positive impact on these young fish. I'm sure new regs could be implemented quickly as we all know how keen gov't is to reply to scientific research findings right ;)

As always the best approach is usually the most difficult. I agree, we need a multi-pronged approach that includes habitat work. However, these seals were in the river almost 1/2 mile up from the estuary. Ask anyone who has fished the Stamp and they will probably be able to recall many seal sightings several miles up river.

I'm just starting to connect the dots on seeing lots of seals at river mouths over the years - especially in the spring when the smolts are out-migrating.

Just makes you sick.

I'm sure encouraged that finally someone is doing research so we can sort out the real truth around the impacts of seal predation. Not lost on many on this forum I'm sure, is the fact that we have seen record numbers of seals in the past 2 decades. Funny how that coincides with our ocean survival issues.

I think that if you look at the historical record, you'll find that seals and sea lions migrated up many, many rivers to eat salmon and fry long before the white man got here. In WA state, they were spotted by Lewis and Clark all the way up at Celio falls on the Columbia River (13 miles upstream of the current Dalles Dam which is 191 miles upstream). My point being that with appropriate habitat preservation and a lack of fishing (especially terminal fishing with nets), the salmon did just fine in the presence of seals and sea lions upstream. So may we need to reduce the impact of these pinnipeds now to compensate for all the other insults to the salmon life cycle or maybe we need to be focused more on the other problems.

I guess you would have to classify us rec anglers in there with them. Careful what we wish for. Up here in BC we have a whole Ministry dedicated to managing anglers to save fish.

Interesting to hear the historical reference to early explorer observations indeed....however we are creating an artificial environment for the seals and seal lions now in the form of log booms and breakwaters. Here in Cowichan Bay during peak times ( fall and spring) we have counted up to 300 seals on the log booms right in the estuary, up to 39 sea lions on the breakwater. The log booms in particular have become a safe haven from Orcas, a birthing and resting spot...maybe time for a "no seals allowed" signage program?

Cow Bay is a perfect example of how these young fry are not surviving their first few weeks at sea and is one area that PSF studied this past year and will continue to study over the next several years. There are a few glaring issue at hand in Cow Bay and I'm sure many on here are more familiar with the issues but here is my take on it. Feel free to add your thoughts:

1) Log Booms as mentioned are a save haven and breeding ground for seals
2) The jetty/pier that was constructed by a forestry company decades ago has caused the natural flow of water in the bay to change
3) Eel grass beds have been decimated as a result of this 'unnatural' flow of water. Prior to the jetty/pier that was constructed eel grass beds were thriving and it has been determined that the construction of this jetty/pier is the primary reason for this loss of much needed rearing habitat.

As fry enter the salt for the first time they are in a very vulnerable state as their physiology has to change to allow them to adapt/thrive in a new environment. Hiding places and food sources such as eel grass beds are essential for these first several weeks and months and they have disappeared in Cow Bay. Combine that with the fact there is a harbour seal club med in the vicinity and it's no wonder stocks have been decimated.

Things that can/should be done include removal of the no longer used jetty/pier (very expensive to do. should be at the cost of the forestry companies who installed it). replanting of eel grass beds. removal of log booms. potential actions to limit seal population in the area. My $0.02. happy to hear your thoughts.

Back