Seaguar STS vs Blue Label

Ringo

Crew Member
Hey guys,

I've been using 30 lb Sufix 100% Flurocarbon for the past 4 seasons and never lost any Chinooks because of leader line issues. Last year I tried the 20lb Seaguar Blue Lable for late season Coho and noticed some improvements in the # of hookups in shallower waters. Although it's relatively expensive, I think I'm going to primarily use the Blue Label when targeting Coho but wanted to know if you guys have any experience with Seaguar STS. STS comes in a larger diameter for the same poundage but sells at a significantly lower price point. ($26 compared to $65 for 100 YRD 30lb)

http://seaguar.com/about-seaguar/pr...-material-for-salmon-trout-and-steelhead.html

The online reviews for STS still look pretty good but wanted to hear first hand if you guys recommend it over the BL. Thx.

use to only use the blue but..... last 2 years runnin sts and same results as the blue so I prefer to save $$$$

I use the 30# STS, never had an issue with slippage or breakeage.

$17 at Wholesale Sports (in store) for the 100y spool.

According to the Seaguar site, the diameter is the same for Blue and STS for 20, 25 and 30# test.

I use Blue Label for spoons and jig leaders, I find it more supple which in my brain equates to better more free action. Thay may have been why you had more success with it. I use STS when I tie teasers and hoochies as I think that they benefit from stiffer line to add action. The stuff is seriously strong, I've had 20+lb salmon half chew through my jig leader and still land it without an issue. STS is great value though...

I used to use Yo-Zuri H.D. Carbon Disappearing Pink which is also decent but not easy to find in Canada and the US dollar stinks right now.

I used to use Yo-Zuri H.D. Carbon Disappearing Pink which is also decent but not easy to find in Canada and the US dollar stinks right now.
I ordered some of the Yo-Zuri pink Fluoro recently from Amazon.ca. The price was very good compared to most places. Price was in CDN $ and shipping was free, so it was a good deal. A lot of stuff that comes through the States is outrageously priced on Amazon, but there are also some very good deals there.

I ordered some of the Yo-Zuri pink Fluoro recently from Amazon.ca. The price was very good compared to most places. Price was in CDN $ and shipping was free, so it was a good deal. A lot of stuff that comes through the States is outrageously priced on Amazon, but there are also some very good deals there.
Does the line vanish in the water? Or is it slightly visible?

The claim is it is less visible because of light piping that travels down the line. They claim if the line is a abraided because of the shade the line still remains invisible.

Thanks guys for all the info.
I think I'm going to invest (ehem!) in a large spool of 25lb Blue for spoons and jigs also have the STS in my box for hootchies and anchovies in deeper or murkier water. Although the idea of a fluro-coated line may sound good, I really don't want to go cheap when it comes to terminal tackle.
Do you guys use different lines (non-fluro leaders, lighter poundage, etc.) at different times of the season? I heard from a guide that some anglers use regular mono material in early spring when the Fraser is pumping out mud and then switch to fluorocarbon later in the season. Is this really worth it? I've personally fished with flurocarbon throughout the year in the Van harbor but was curious to see if other folks are doing the same. ThX.

Use whatever you feel most confident with. I have noticed sometimes gear tied on fluoro seems to outproduce mono. But maybe it's all in my head. If you feel more confident using fluoro it's worth the premium.

The fluoro is much stiffer then most 40 or 50lb mono's... a better throw better action on the hoochie .....

The fluoro is much stiffer then most 40 or 50lb mono's... a better throw better action on the hoochie .....
Yup that's why I like it on my hoochies. I usually use 60lb Fuoro for even more action. I don't like to use that heavy in mono because I feel it is too visible, and I think I get less strikes. I usually only go to 40-50 max in mono.

Back