Sea lions eating all the Orca's food

Was raised at Bedwell Bay in the Indian Arm. During the 50's and early 60's every winter dead bloated seals tied together would bob along on the tide line with their flippers missing. As a kid even back then I understood there was a need because it somewhat effected the huge local Howe Sound herring fishery . They were considered pests and were dealt with by the government with paid bounties. Always wondered why the crabbing was always so good back then.

Last edited:
Was raised at Bedwell Bay in the Indian Arm. During the 50's and early 60's every winter dead bloated seals tied together would bob along on the tide line with their flippers missing. As a kid even back then I understood there was a need because it effected the huge local Howe Sound herring fishery . They were considered pests and were dealt with by the government with paid bounties. Always wondered why the crabbing was always so good back then.

The seals are the reason there haven't been many herring in Howe Sound for the last 40 years? Good to know, I always thought it was because the seiners fished them to commercial extinction (like almost everywhere else on the BC coast)

The seals are the reason there haven't been many herring in Howe Sound for the last 40 years? Good to know, I always thought it was because the seiners fished them to commercial extinction (like almost everywhere else on the BC coast)
I really don't think the seals back in the day contributed much to the crash of the local herring fishery. It probably had more to do with damage made to their nets, etc.which would have been an economic disaster. See the Herring Hunt link above as mentioned nets were $28k. There were many factors contributing to the herring fishery demise in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back