Sea Lion takes salmon and net

happy hooker

Crew Member
http://www.break.com/index/sea-lion-steals-mans-fish.html

15 mins is a little much though.[?]

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Had a similar thing happen...had a 12 pound northern up to the side of the boat...didn't have time to get one rigger completely up so 1 cannonball was still just in the water...my customer let the fish get into the wire and it wrapped a couple of times. I didn't have enough slack in the leader to get the fish into the net or to grab the fish and toss into the boat. I had my hand on the leader inches from the fish trying to coax it around the wire to free it when a bull sealion came up from under my boat..grabbed the coho while jumping out of the water...all inches from my face(as I was leaning over the side) Startled the crap out of me as I had no idea he was there. The leader broke and he had his meal. Thank god we don't have to deal with Great Whites!!! lol

Ahhh yes, I see the caption to the right now. Thanks

Wow, 15 minutes!( what was it, like 8lbs?) Blows my mind how some guys kind of get off by saying....."it took this long" . You know how to fight for every inch of line and give when you have to , you should still be able to land all but the most stubborn 40lb fish in about 15-20 minutes. ( unless it's a big Hali obviously )

I had a similar incident/close call to profisher. It was a complete sh*t show this year in Kyuquot with 2 sea lions trying to steal a fish. It was just my GF and I out offshore and as she's fighting a nice coho, it's close to the boat but still down below and a BIG sea lion surfaced about 10 ft off the stern. Well....my GF thought this was the coolest thing ever and sort of "yipppeeed" with 'glee'. [:0] I told her to get ready for the sh*t show that was more than likely about to ensue.

I leaned over the side of the boat to see where the fish was and there was a second sea lion down below the boat going after the poor little coho. So ensued a gong show for the next 2-3 minutes and I am sure one of the bass-TURDS had the fish at one point as the line was being pulled fairly taught under the side of the boat. I gave the line a good solid hand yank and here comes Mr. Coho swimming for his life with both sea lions making runs at it 10 ft under the boat. I told my GF to reel like crazy and pull up....I finally got the flasher in my hand and yanked it up with one hand while reaching down with my other hand I grabbed the line right at the teaser head to do a big full motion to get this guy in the boat. Well as I am yanking up the fish right at the surface a HUGE gaping set of choppers come up going for the fish (I am convinced he was trying to take my hand off [:p] )just like in the video from under the boat. Well I am almost crapped myself as I yarfed the coho up and the little feller and my hand were all of about 3-4 inches from getting one serious 'nip' from the that stanky breath bass-turd.

It was funny after all this as my GF is still saying with tons of enthusiasm...."THIS is SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!" and I just looked at her and had to laugh. The sea lions both surface just behind the stern and gave us this look as if to say "f*ck you too". Was a great story to tell when we got back in that day.

I think Tailout has a good story of exactly this happening on a 40lb spring this year but it was a seal that had the fish from the outside of the net and he did get the fish in the boat!

Tips

I've been successful at getting some fish away from the jaws of Harbour Seals, never from a Sea Lion that had the fish in its mouth. I've always just clamped down quickly and bust him off before being spooled dry. There is a video out there on U-tube of a guy playing something when half way in the Penn reel starts to scream....the drag is increased to the point of breaking the line but not quite...the reel is still screaming...then smoking...literally smoking/melting from heat....it never stops and spools him anyway...my guess a Sea Lion grabbed whatever he had on.

I love that one too, Time. It was shot in Argentina, I believe. The beach has a steep drop off and the orcas there surf the wave in and grab them.

Back