Sea Lampreys

Finished Business

Heard of now a few salmon being caught with sea lampreys attached this year. Haven't heard anything of them in the last four years that I have been fishing the chuck. I have yet to catch a salmon with a lamprey attached, but one was entered for a prize in the Silva Bay derby and another (pictured below) was caught by a friend while fishing the Silva derby as well. I've heard a few mentions of them this year on the forum.

Just wondering how often it happens? Just fugly creatures....

.....edit, guess I should have searched first, posted second. Seems it has been discussed.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?23966-Lampreys&highlight=lampreys

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?23488-Pacific-Lamprey&highlight=lampreys

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one on a weird looking other fish(possibly a pollock) at porlier a couple weeks ago.

Got one last year June 6th off Lasqueti. It was attached to a 30. Haven't seen any others though, fairly uncommon.

I've caught two Pollock now with these things hanging off them. Pretty disgusting looking. Both off the fingers.

Pic1

pic2

Considered a delicacy by certain people in Oregon.

They have a river there that is chock full of them every year.

They are trying to get them "protected".........because they like eating them better than salmon.

Not saying it's their fault though.

Throw a couple on the Barbie and see if they are "gourmet".......

One of the sock's we caught today

Attachments

• 20140622_135720_resized.jpg
    20140622_135720_resized.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 247
Got a feeder last year with one attached. Exactly like the top photo. Fairly common in the Puget Sound apparently.

Dave

Caught a few trout in Cowichan lake with them attached and usally the larger trout have a few healed scars. There was some baby ones in the lower Chemanius river last summer.

Back