Scotty Plastics

tubber

I broke the part that holds the telescoping arm in place on my older model downrigger. The newer ones have bigger diameter arms I think. I e-mailed them through their website, they called to chat and asked if it would be okay if they mailed (I live in Kelowna) me a used one. When I asked how much, the guy said it would be free. Just got it today; the whole deal took 6 days and they were apologetic for not answering my email sooner.

I'm very impressed and needless to say will buy Scotty Electrics, when I get a bigger boat, before I even look at other brands of DRs.

I live in vic , use everything scotty you can think of .. Met a few of the guys , First class business .. I highly recomend them

tubbed

quote:Originally posted by tubber

I broke the part that holds the telescoping arm in place on my older model downrigger. The newer ones have bigger diameter arms I think. I e-mailed them through their website, they called to chat and asked if it would be okay if they mailed (I live in Kelowna) me a used one. When I asked how much, the guy said it would be free. Just got it today; the whole deal took 6 days and they were apologetic for not answering my email sooner.

I'm very impressed and needless to say will buy Scotty Electrics, when I get a bigger boat, before I even look at other brands of DRs.

You have just experienced one of the reasons why you should buy Scotties, and you'll notice that anyone that does fish with 'em loves 'em. As for the competitors, you'll notice they're a rare sight around these parts...cuz they offer no service, and no parts locally without a time investment and possibly a hassle.

while one of my electrics was in for service, i mentioned that the
tilt lock had broken on the other rigger( not even seen by them )
they handed me a new one no charge!
Scotty have the best warrantee in the business :D

Tubber you may want to shoot of a letter to them as I know Gord and the boys down there like to hear about stuff like that thanking them for there great service!!!!!

I am like all of the people out there if I have a problem with them take it in and it gets fixed fast I been using scotty equipment for over 25 years and got my first downrigger from them when the old shop was near dallas rd they are a great facility if your ever in sydney ask to get a tour of it very very impressive.

Good luck Wolf

When the best products to use are made in Canada - it doesn't get any better than that. I hope if I have any problem with my scotty EDRS I too will experience over the top great service from Scotty

My experiance with scotty has allways been top notch. I have allways gotten free parts and upgrades to my old Scotty Down riggers I recenty broke one of the old red handels and they didnt just give me 1 to replace but 2 in case it happens again. Can you believe that. I also bent a arm once when my rigger got hung up on the bottom, you know,they gave a whole new arm... Wow I sold those riggers to a guy in Alaska who paid me 250 US per rigger. then I went and bought new ones.

You will not find a better product. The only product that rates with Scotty is Bennett Trim Tabs. They do the same service on products 10-20 years old.

I took a buddy out fishing in the Puget Sound. We were doing poorly and I wanted to move to another area as the tide was changing. I had bought the boom hangers that you hang your downrigger balls on. We took off and I was running at 40 mph. I heard a slap noise and looked back and my DR ball had come off and I could see the DR line going straight back. We stopped and went back. The Scotty would not pull the ball up and I had to do it by hand. I called the Scotty repair shop here in the Seattle area. He said bring it in. We continued to fish with the other downrigger. My buddy could not stand and is an electrician by trade. He tore the entire DR apart. The electric motor in it had spun so fast that the windings on the armature had flared out from spinning 10,000 mph. The magnets clipped the windings off.

I went to the Scotty repair shop on the way home. He told me one week to fix it or he would just give me the motor. He gave me the motor and we had it repaired in an hour. I even told him what happened and he said no problem. This clearly was an abuse case and should not have been warrantied. I could not believe that I tightened the brake back up on it and it still worked! I am still fishing it to this day.

They are an A-1 Class Act Company. I have two boats right now and 5 Scotties. Would not trade them for any other brand. Plastic and Stainless, can't build them for salt any better than that.

so when a rigger goes in for service, do they charge for any parts ?
i think i need new pulley, plug, brake pads etc.

I took mine in they were 13 years old and had a few miles on them. The only thing I had to pay for was the boom I bent it right around almost in a circle.It hooked onto the garage door track and destroyed it.The guy at scotty looked at it, Big fish, I said and winked .He just smiled and said he had heard them all,I told him what had happened and I would pay for my own stupidity.They repaired everything on 2 downriggers ,they fixed the, clutches,brakes,switches,pulleys,upgraded a few bits.And it was done promply,total cost was 80 bucks for the boom, all the other stuff was free.Its a first class operation.He just asked if i was the original owner which i was.Really positive experince. DAN

You have to wonder why they sell so many replacement parts ??
anyone needing a new part should simply take the rigger in for an
overhaul and get all the parts replaced no charge.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Well, rigger came back all fixed , new pully, brake pads,
etc. the only charge was 10.95 for a new electrical male end.
not bad, for a 10 year old rigger !!:D

Well, rigger came back all fixed , new pully, brake pads,
etc. the only charge was 10.95 for a new electrical male end.
not bad, for a 10 year old rigger !!:D

I'd have to say...hats off and thank you very much to Scotty.

If anyone has ever thought about buying a competing product...FUHGEDDABOUDIT!

I was dealing with Bill, he does all the repairs...
dropped it off monday, and picked it up today.
pretty good service.

Back