Scotty HP will NOT Turn Off

Sharphooks

Brought my SCotty HP along on a long fishing trip. Never got to use it as the auto-stop was no longer functioning——motor wouldn’t stop

I know my way around the proper set-up and operation of these DR’s—-so no, it wasn’t the set-up of the stop beads etc. I took the ON/Off switch apart 5 times during the trip—-it’s squeaky clean . I suspect it’s a wiring issue —-maybe a short somewhere?

The question is, if I should be considering switching out parts to fix it, what part should be looking at??????

thanks for any words of wisdom out there

The auto stop switch is controlled by a magnet sensor. Harbour chandler sells them for $5. 99% of the time it is the sensor. Part that has wires going to it

Brought my SCotty HP along on a long fishing trip. Never got to use it as the auto-stop was no longer functioning——motor wouldn’t stop

I know my way around the proper set-up and operation of these DR’s—-so no, it wasn’t the set-up of the stop beads etc. I took the ON/Off switch apart 5 times during the trip—-it’s squeaky clean . I suspect it’s a wiring issue —-maybe a short somewhere?

The question is, if I should be considering switching out parts to fix it, what part should be looking at??????

I had a switch fail a long time ago. The cost of shipping on the replacement part was a lot so I ended up ordering a bunch of relays and switches and other parts that could fail.They've been sitting in the boat taking up space for the past 4 years. But one day!!...

It’s likely the Magnetic Reed switch,if you’re in Victoria Scotty will give you one, if not it’s an $11 part at most places . I had the same issue and that fixed it.

Thanks for the response, Gents. So that magnetic reed switch is under the cover those black wires lead to?
Yes those are the ones, it’s not a difficult job . If you’re handy with a Multi meter you can test the reed switch to confirm that’s the issue

It’s likely the Magnetic Reed switch,if you’re in Victoria Scotty will give you one, if not it’s an $11 part at most places . I had the same issue and that fixed it.
I second what explorer said, had the same issue and talked to Scotty in sidney and they put a couple in a bag for me to pick up that day after work (free)

I thought I’d revive this thread. It was indeed the magnetic reed switch that kept my SCotty HP from shutting off properly. While talking to the SCotty rep he left me with the distinct impression that it would NOT be all that simple to replace it. He was right. Taking everything apart is easy. Removing the old magnetic reed switch and wiring in the new one is easy. What isn’t so easy is getting the motor to sit properly in its bracket while having all the wiring tucked away so you can button everything back up without pinching wires etc

So with the hopes that this might save someone else some time in the future, what I finally figured out is one has to separate the motor from the panel that seals the motor compartment. You do this by removing the stainless cotter pin on the drive shaft housing so the two come apart

Once the motor is detached, you can make sure it sits in the bracket holes and the wiring harnesses are where they should be and then, it’ll all go back together lickety-split

Yeah it's a headache getting all the wiring to tuck in just so as the motor drops back into place.

Back