Scotty Down Riggers

Another consideration that might be asked by guys like me who use bait---how fast a retrieval do you really want?

I get lots of fish following up my herring and 'chovies, then grabbing them off the clip during a full retrieve. Any faster then old-school would probably rip a plug-cut off the hook or have a negative tweak on action

I'm just guessing on this, but a faster retrieval without anything else new on the table would not make me spring for a new Scotty. Maybe if I spent most of my fishing time deeper then 150 ft I'd have a different take on "faster is better" ... But I don't, so I don't.

For fishing at the 200+ foot depth they work fine and the retrieve speed is great.
I use 12 and 13 pound balls and the power is outstanding.
The counter is bullet proof.
I have found that when you rinse them they need to dry out real good or you will have problems letting line out on your next trip.
They have zero tolerance from any mistake that can happen with new users or guys that use older models.
Push the green button to bring the cannon ball up a little higher and it will lift it so fast that the gear will get into the pulley and snap off in a heart beat. I use scotty braid not ss wire.
If you use those pink autostop beads bring spare lead as you will be needing it sooner or later.
Have not tried it with a 15 pound CB but I'm sure it will work great.
I have tried setting mine up with some of the ways that i have learned on this site.
So far nothing has seems to hold up to mistakes (green button of death).
Have not tried the tuna cord yet as I have not been to PNT to pick some up.
Need to pick up lots of lead and tuna cord next trip.
As for worth the extra money.... not sure it is.
GLG

I'm a bait guy also.... just I pop a reel in ..get plenty of fish that way....For me its how fast I'm back in the water fishing... when the bites on..It's gear in the water time... which can mean more fish...My 2 bites... :)

GLG...run the Tuna cord stopper system..and if you are fishing deeper that 100ft -18lb cannon balls.. you are right about it being touchy when the gear is around the boat...Took a little bit to get use too :)

GLG...run the Tuna cord stopper system..and if you are fishing deeper that 100ft -18lb cannon balls.. you are right about it being touchy when the gear is around the boat...Took a little bit to get use too :)
Yup I need to go pickup some tuna cord to set that up.
Yup I need more lead... will look for some 18's to try, I was thinking of 15's.
Getting use too.... I am, but my friends aren't..... oh well they do replace the lead.
Hard to keep up with the lead replacement sometimes.
Thanks
GLG

I NOW have my beads set to stop at aprox 5' leaving the balls about 2' in the water, I also NOW use the Scotty downrigger line retreivers which will pull the balls close enough to the boat to reach the clip, or a quick press and release of the green button give a couple more feet then just swing the downrigger up to retrieve the balls, It took a few cannon balls dropping to the bottom to learn, and yes it can snap the new HP 180lb ss wire ina heartbeat too.
but I really like them now for sure and wouldnt go back. if your running braid I think Derby's tuna cord is the only way to go.
Tim

I am having a difficult time envisioning how that cord works. Getting old and mind cannot hold concepts. Is there anyone on SVI using this setup and, if so, can I come and see it. Sounds like a good way to go it.

If you search the forum for "down rigger tips" and scroll to page 4 you'll see the pics of the tuna cord set-up---I use halibut gangion and rig a bit differently but it achieves the same thing: burly line down by the ball to take abuse from bottom/rocks etc., and the junction knot (or swivel) to your braid acting as the "stop" on an electric DR.

Some guys also posted some excellent pix on an alternate set-up---basically a 6 to 8 foot section of large diameter mono, folded in half. Your braid knots to the "V" of the fold which leaves two tag ends: one end gets the ball, the other end gets the clip. The knot at the junction acts as the "stop". I think both the tuna cord and the heavy duty mono are slick ideas---elegant and simple. Anything that will get you away from those useless Scotty "stoppers" that maybe should have been named Scotty "sliders" because that's what they do on braid

What about using the cannon ball snubbers to take some of the tension out of the line?

Any one here in the valley that wants any #48 Gangen with 400# breaking strength. Let me know I have over 1000 feet of it and I will gladly cut you off a piece. For Free......

You think they would add a second (slow) speed retrieve button for those last few feet after the auto-stop has been tripped. I think I'd just go with the old ones. It's not often that I'm waiting on the downrigger to come up.

I am leaning towards going with the 1116 product as I have had a few in the past they do the job. I agree as well .... not too often I'm waiting on the down rigger to come up.

The new scotties are fine I only lost one cannon ball so far( first in five years) and it was operator abuse. Blew a fuse when I hit the green button of death and accidently put a larger fuse in and had the main switch in retreive, ooooops. Other than that they are great, mine got swiped and I just picked up a new set. Love the digital read out and the new look.

Operator error happens to the best of us. Last time I lost a cannon ball I was leaning out hooking a clip and some how my coat engaged the green button of death. Bang, lost another one. I too have gone long periods with out any problems with my old downriggers. That's changed since I started to use these new HP ones. I got some gangion from FA (thanks again) and will try setting it up like IFL describes in this thread. http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?16217-Braided-to-Ganion-transition
Now if the wind would die down I could go out there and try them.
GLG
Wanted to add that if you fish deep 200 + these HP's are great. They are fast and can handle a 12 or 15 pound ball no problem. Might even try an 18 if I can find one cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddies who fish with me love how quite and smooth they are too. To me the speed was not a selling feature. I am gonna try the ganyon and see how it works. Looks and sounds ugly out there right now, all I wanna do is get some crabs for tonight may have to go see crabby bob!

Back