Scotty Down Riggers

Derby

Crew Member
I see Scotty has launched a new high performance electric downrigger for next season. New Model available will be a 2106,2101,2116.I guess the new improvement is a new drive motor that will pull a 20lb cannon ball 260 feet a minute & a 10lb cnb at 360ft a minute- few other tid bits is a illuminated digital line counter and a 1/2 kevlar belt and can be spooled up with 180lb SS dwn rigger wire.
[:p]

Nice....hopefully the illuminated counter also doesn't fog up! I can never read the thing at first light. Maybe they could build in a defogger and fish eye magnifier for old guys who can't see the counter.:D

Searun

th_067.jpg

yup they work great the only prob i see is they come up so fast that when they stop there is a good jolt on the 180lb wire and even 12lb balls were falling off,but freakin quick.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

yup they work great the only prob i see is they come up so fast that when they stop there is a good jolt on the 180lb wire and even 12lb balls were falling off,but freakin quick.
Cannon has a rapid retrieve unit like that-not for the space cadets among us!

The only real advantage I see is if your fishing off-shore lot's & fishing deep with 20lb cnb balls. Let you know more when I see them at the end of Sept.
:)

I agree-Personal I wouldn't use a 20lber- 15lber does everything I need :)They're are guys who do & I believe Scotty has worked on this new and improved rigger for 3 seasons.

most likley going to be in the $550.00 range at the tackle shops, maybe a little less maybe a little more depending on where you shop

I don't really trust anything digital around the salt water, failure is not an option. Some times some thing simple is better. I keep a spare counter in my box and can replace it in minutes, I don't carry a saudering gun.

Fogging counters suck...tied of lifting the cover to constantly clean it in the morning and in rain. Would be nice if Scotty could solve that problem. Sorry to hear the digital thing did not work out. Guess there isn't much advantage to the new rigger after all.

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I never understood the point of using a lighter ball. Get 'er down there is what I say. If course, I use braided line. I just wonder how long it will be before a 20 pounder tears the gunnel out of the side of a fiberglass boat, I know I will be doing some reinforcing before I put a 20 out there.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com
You actually I think you partly just answered your 'question'. I like to use a lighter ball ( 8-10 lb) when fishing shallow .....like 15-25 feet off Dundarave flats for the coho here in Vancouver or the Chinook off T10 in August (25-45 feet). The lighter balls are cheaper, easier to handle in and out of storage, easier to clip onto the rigger, easier on the cable, boat gunnel ( as you pointed out), rigger parts and rigger drive motor and belt. When I am fishing deep and/or using lots of dummies (eg. sockeye) of course I have to drag out the big monsters.

I was able to check out these new riggers this weekend- Pretty sweet
Looks like I'm changing out the 3 on my boat for 3 of these new ones:D

Maybe he was into the shot put at some point. lol

Can you imagine in rough water doing that "just toss it out" especially with 15 lb weights "tink" is what you would hear if I did that LOL LOL that must be some really tough stuff hes got...LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Scotty 2106 Series

I know this is old thread but thought I would ask the question as now a few have used this new product for a season. Are these new units the way to go? Does the counter fog up? Too much power? Should I just buy new 1116's and be done with it? Any feed back would be great.

Back