San Juan opens tomorrow for coho

gamechanger

Hi guys, the San Juan opens for coho tomorrow morning, 1/day.

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN1179-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 1 - San Juan River - coho opportunity - October 25, 2014

Effective 00:01 hours October 25, 2014 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2014 you may
retain one (1) coho salmon per day greater than 25 cm (hatchery marked or wild)
in those portions of the San Juan River and tributaries that are currently open
to fishing for salmon.

Anglers are reminded that this limit applies only in those waters of the San
Juan River and its tributaries downstream of the Fleet River that are open to
fishing for salmon. Harris Creek, Hemmingsten Creek and the waters upstream of
Hemmingsten Creek remain closed.

Variation Order Number: 2014-505

Notes:

Anglers are further reminded of the following:

The use of single barbless hooks is mandatory in all streams in Region 1.

All foul hooked (ie: hooked other than in the mouth) must be returned to the
river immediately;

Please refer to the 2013-2015 Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis for
further restrictions and information when fishing in the non-tidal waters of
British Columbia, or contact your nearest Fish and Wildlife Office (Nanaimo 751-
3100), or Department of Fisheries and Oceans Office (Duncan 746-6221).

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-
FISH.

Recovery of coded-wire tags from recreational fishers provides critical
information for coast-wide stock assessment. Sport anglers are reminded to
label and submit heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and coho salmon to
Salmon Head Recovery Depots. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at
(866) 483-9994 for further information.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office - Duncan (250) 746-6221.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN1179
Sent October 24, 2014 at 15:31
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

What a joke.

This system used to get the largest coho around till one year they decided to open it up to 4 a day. Nearly wiped it out. Don't see the need to open it ever for such a pristine system like that.

This year if we see what was out there as far as ocean results I think the river can sustain an opening...Well 4 probably was excessive in past I do agree on that point. Those openings were also made when coho were declining rapidly... And it probably was a factor of many things not just angling that lead to decline.

I can't see one per day a big deal. Again this is the same theme on the threads again. You can't sit and say its ok to kill 4 of them in the bay since Sept and yell at guys if the river is open. If that the case then how would we feel if the entire bay and entrance was closed? I am just saying if populations are strong as they are this year then its not a bad thing....

I may go up myself.... Don't knock river fishing as I said before there are lots of anglers that enjoy these openings if given opportunity...To me the snaggers and poachers have given this fishery a bad rap....

So ever year a river gets a good run we should just crack it open to retention? Why not let the runs build to historic levels especially ones that traditionally have small numbers of large fish returning. If you fished this river in the 90's and earlier you would know what I was talking about with the size of these coho. Then they started opening them up to retention. Some pools would only have 50 fish in it to begin with and by the time the "retention" anglers came through, there were a pile of carcasses and a few fish left swimming around. Think rivers that are heavily influenced by hatcheries can sustain that kind of harvest but not on these. My opinion thats all.

Its so hypocritical in my opinion to fish all year in the chuck then complain about guys fishing in the river.

Not everyone can afford a boat and all the gear. LOTS of San Juan fish were taken in the ocean I bet more were taken from the salt then will be taken from this opening. Its the river guys turn - simple as that.

DFO could close the ocean until runs return to historic levels do you support that too?

I've fished the San Juan once - we drifted down in a drift boat. Probably my faveorite fishing trip ever. The guy who took us was an expert in the river and hooked lots of fish. My buddy got into a few and me the river newbie only got one but it was a dandy high teens chromer. Released to spawn.

So peaceful - I'd love to do it again

I have mixed feelings on retention in rivers. The SJ watershed may be experiencing a better than normal return, if your only counting the last couple of decades, but it is nothing to what it was just a little longer ago than that, and I believe there is potential for a far larger, closer to historic run.

If the hatchery on that watershed is producing coho, then I have no problem with a fishery that targets those fish. One good thing about a river fishery is that we know where the fish are going. Out in the salt (even adjacent to the stream) you never know for sure what rivers fish your killing. An example would be Cowichan Chinooks holding at "the Village" off Quadra Island near Campbell River early summer.

A one fish retention is not going to attract a hoard of meat fishers. It's a bit of a drive to get there.

Its so hypocritical in my opinion to fish all year in the chuck then complain about guys fishing in the river.

Not everyone can afford a boat and all the gear. LOTS of San Juan fish were taken in the ocean I bet more were taken from the salt then will be taken from this opening. Its the river guys turn - simple as that.

DFO could close the ocean until runs return to historic levels do you support that too?

I've fished the San Juan once - we drifted down in a drift boat. Probably my faveorite fishing trip ever. The guy who took us was an expert in the river and hooked lots of fish. My buddy got into a few and me the river newbie only got one but it was a dandy high teens chromer. Released to spawn.

So peaceful - I'd love to do it again

X2 Normally I would have the freezer loaded with seafood for the coming year,but unfortunately I blew the main motor on my boat.So this year all I have is the coho fishery in the rivers that have an opening.Usually this would be
a strictly C&R show for me,but I'll take 8-10 fish for the cans.Short floating some of my home tied jigs for fresh run
chums is a blast also.Love river fishin'!!

I have mixed feelings on retention in rivers. The SJ watershed may be experiencing a better than normal return, if your only counting the last couple of decades, but it is nothing to what it was just a little longer ago than that, and I believe there is potential for a far larger, closer to historic run.
A one fish retention is not going to attract a hoard of meat fishers. It's a bit of a drive to get there.

x3 - well said.

I think there is likely something about the optics and assumptions that most people on rivers are "snaggers and flossers" which does not help the overall cause for river fishing.

there are honest and dishonest folk in the chuck and on the river... cant complain when i am lucky enough to fish for them out in my boat.

Yo Mama, I have to agree with what others have said here - you want to start pointing fingers about limiting escapement; look at the saltchuck, the bay is opened every year for four fish. These four fish may or may not be going up the volunteer hatchery assisted San Juan run, they could be one of four total going up any number of tiny west coast creeks? When was the San Juan system open for four fish? I have fished it for almost forty years; other than the blanket "it is open unless we say it is closed" early days (up to the mid 90's) I don't recall ever seeing a four fish limit there?

You didn't read my post, nor was I pointing fingers. I never made any mention of Saltwater in it. I don't agree with 4 a day out there as well. And I'm not going to waste my time explain my thoughts on this either. Like I said my opinion. I like seeing rivers full of fish as well as oceans. Think people are to quick to blame everybody but the recreational sector for the downturn in fishing. I would personally be happy with a 1spring/1coho/1halibut limit for all. That would allow plenty of fish for the freezer as well as many more in the ocean. I have spent a few more hours on the water than the average person and have seen the ups and downs of the industry. The excuse that "I don't have a boat so that is the only opportunity to catch salmon is in a river" is bulls#$t as I spent numerous years chucking buzz bombs off the breakwater and otter point for years with great success.

Back