San Diego tuna

Redfisher

Looking ahead to one of the longer 8-10 day offshore Mexico trips that run out of San Diego with a few friends, bucket list item for us.

Are there any current members of this forum who have done these who could provide advice as to:
1. Good boats
2. Best time to go

We don’t get seasick and are looking for one of those trips with a variety of species targeted. I remember a thread on this years ago but can’t find it.

Thanks

One of our long time guests at the Lodge used to go on the Royal Polaris out of San Diego , he said it was the best.

I have not done one yet but lots of my American buddies do them. As a newbie one thing to remember is you have to bring your own gear. Some boats do loaners and all of the landings do rentals. This is specialized gear with very expensive rods and reels if you are chasing big tuna Many of the good boats at prime time are booked years in advance as returning guests get first right of refusal. I have also heard that it can be combat fishing as there will be 20 to 30 people (depending on the boat) all vying for the best fishing spot on the stern. Another option would be to charter one of the smaller boats that takes up to 6 people and do a multi day trip. That ways its just you guys and not 20 other guys you don't know. Another option is to look at fishing out of Mexico like : Cedros, Mag Bay etc. Also on a ten day trip you can expects 5 days fishing (maybe 6 at best) and 5 days running. Starting in Mexico eliminates all of the running time.

I have 2 friends from Nanaimo that just got back into SD last night from a 10 day and I will ask them for some details and let you know

I have not done one yet but lots of my American buddies do them. As a newbie one thing to remember is you have to bring your own gear. Some boats do loaners and all of the landings do rentals. This is specialized gear with very expensive rods and reels if you are chasing big tuna Many of the good boats at prime time are booked years in advance as returning guests get first right of refusal. I have also heard that it can be combat fishing as there will be 20 to 30 people (depending on the boat) all vying for the best fishing spot on the stern. Another option would be to charter one of the smaller boats that takes up to 6 people and do a multi day trip. That ways its just you guys and not 20 other guys you don't know. Another option is to look at fishing out of Mexico like : Cedros, Mag Bay etc. Also on a ten day trip you can expects 5 days fishing (maybe 6 at best) and 5 days running. Starting in Mexico eliminates all of the running time.
Good points to consider. I’m starting the homework process so it can happen without too many glitches

Lots of really good long range boat options. Go to Bloodydecks and there's a "Long Range" Forum with endless info.

Check out the 4 main Landings down there for boats and links to schedules....Fishermans Landing, H&M, Point Loma and Seaforth.

Be forewarned most trips are booked solid until November 2022 already.

It's an organized chaos of under, over around with plenty of rail space and not a problem unless there's "that guy" that can really mess things up. Long Range boats typically don't have "that guy" but if there are they get taught very quickly how to limit their fu$kUp$.

one story sticks in my brain from what our guest told me about fishing on the Royal Polaris, he brings along 8-10 rods of his own worth anywhere from 2-6 thousand each setup. Sometimes when they get a big tuna on they get spooled and then attach one rod and reel to another and throw the one setup overboard and keep on fighting. he told me that once he had to do it twice and it was a little disconcerning as he had over 10k in rods and reels overboard fighting the one tuna, As it turned out he got it all back and got the fish. I don;t remember how big it was just that i couldn't imagine throwing all that gear over the side for a fish.

one story sticks in my brain from what our guest told me about fishing on the Royal Polaris, he brings along 8-10 rods of his own worth anywhere from 2-6 thousand each setup. Sometimes when they get a big tuna on they get spooled and then attach one rod and reel to another and throw the one setup overboard and keep on fighting. he told me that once he had to do it twice and it was a little disconcerning as he had over 10k in rods and reels overboard fighting the one tuna, As it turned out he got it all back and got the fish. I don;t remember how big it was just that i couldn't imagine throwing all that gear over the side for a fish.
And I thought salmon fishing was expensive LOL

Most guys I know take 7 or 8 thousand US worth of rods and reels. Buy a Mak. 80 fill it up 130 JB hollow braid and put on a Invictus rod and you just spent close to 2 grand US.

That’s a hard one to get my head around. Might have to bring along a few of the old school halibut hand lines.

Fish Assassin was sending me some pictures of the reel, jig and hook collection he takes down. It’s impressive, very impressive. He has an outstanding addiction to say the least. And……he shares information first class

Fish Assassin was sending me some pictures of the reel, jig and hook collection he takes down. It’s impressive, very impressive. He has an outstanding addiction to say the least. And……he shares information first class
And he's only been on one boat.
Save your $ and rent gear your first time.
You'll be fishing live bait 95% of the time so you'll only need a few jigs but a good variety of J and circle hooks comes in handy.

So, my friends got from San Diego. They went on the 10 day on the Exel.
Didn’t spend any time looking for the Blue fin that scattered because of that big storm.

Went down to Guadalupe and slaughtered the 60-90 lb Yellow fins, 30-40 lb Yellowtails plus some Wahoos. Buddy got the pot winner YF , 124.6 lbs.
Both came home with over 250 lbs processed fish each. Super envious!

So, my friends got from San Diego. They went on the 10 day on the Exel.
Didn’t spend any time looking for the Blue fin that scattered because of that big storm.

Went down to Guadalupe and slaughtered the 60-90 lb Yellow fins, 30-40 lb Yellowtails plus some Wahoos. Buddy got the pot winner YF , 124.6 lbs.
Both came home with over 250 lbs processed fish each. Super envious!
How did they like the 10 day experience in terms of being out there fir that length of time?

Did they bring their own gear down or just rent?

Sounds like some good sized fish. I’m envious too

Back